Recommend me sum dimarzio buckers! Plz!! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Formerly Given To Fly
  • 1 Post By hhc090020

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Recommend me sum dimarzio buckers! Plz!!

Hello! Hoping I can aquire some help from the tone masters of jemsite!

I have a warmoth jazzmaster (heavy swamp ash body, roasted maple neck with rosewood fretboard)Equipped with paf 36th set wired to a single 250k volume pot with treble bleed (470pf cap w/220k resistor in parallel) and a "fixed tone switch" with a 300k resistor in bypass mode to cut out some of the highs. 3 way switch with the middle position splitting both pickups a la petrucci.

I've always been a hot pickup guy but with this I thought I'd try out some paf type pups to see what the fuss is about, unfortunately I'm not digging it. The neck is too bright and spanky and there is not a huge difference in sound when switching from the neck to bridge. The bridge is ok but I'd like more chunk and "scream." Also the middle position with both pups split is too weak and not really usable.

The only other dimarzios I've tried are the tone zone/air norton and while I liked it it was in a 24 fret basswood ibanez and I was into more heavier music back then, but now I'm into a lil bit of everything, jazz fusion, rock, metal, alternative.

So a humbucker set that cleans up well with the volume rolled down would be nice. For the neck something really warm, smooth, and fluid, almost to the point of having no pick attack. For the bridge something that is fat and punchy, but harmonically rich and sings when playing lead. Dimarzios would be preferred as I like the double cream aesthetic. Breed set maybe? Any recommendations from the dimarzio experienced are welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 09:26 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Recommend me sum dimarzio buckers! Plz!!

Well the Air Norton would probably serve you well again in this instance, as it's a very fluid neck pickup. Titan Bridge may be a good option for the bridge spot.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

I'm probably going to end up with the air norton in the neck, seems like a safe bet. Not too sure about the titan...kinda have a bias against ceramic pups in the bridge, and I'm guessing its more suited for down tuning? I think the highest tuning periphery uses is drop c?

The pickup picker keeps suggesting the gravity storm for the bridge no matter what music genre i choose, so I guess thats another possiblity. So right now im torn between the tone zone, breed, and gravity storm for the bridge. maybe air zone? so many choices!

kinda interested in the breed for the neck as well. how does it compare with the air norton?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 03:58 AM

If you are using Petrucci's 3-way switching system the pickups DiMarzio has made for him over the years would make sense.
Satriani's Mo' Joe will likely give you what you want from the bridge position and you might as well try the PAF Joe in the neck position if you are willing to put a pickup called the Mo' Joe in the bridge position.

All in all, "safe bets" are a good way to never find anything interesting. Granted this was a long time ago, the Tone Zone is a very "safe bet." It sounds good and is versatile. To me, it was a "jack of all trades, master of none." One option is to buy the first two used DiMarzio humbuckers (neck and bridge appropriately) that come through the classifieds. I did that once and ended up with a Mo' Joe in the Neck, a Fast Track or something similar in the middle, and an EVO 2 in the Bridge. The result was good enough, but I do not think I will use that combination again. I would never have tried those pickups otherwise, so I'm glad I tried this approach. Another lesson I learned: pickups are not life or death and most of them sound pretty good.
peromucho7 likes this.
Formerly Given To Fly is online  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Just pulled the trigger on an air norton and air zone. I think I'm just too terrible at soldering to not go with the safe bet lol. That being said I've never tried the air zone but a more vintage, dynamic tone zone sounds like something I would like. Thanks for yalls help! Now please don't make any better suggestions that might make me regret my purchase......
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhc090020 View Post
I'm probably going to end up with the air norton in the neck, seems like a safe bet. Not too sure about the titan...kinda have a bias against ceramic pups in the bridge, and I'm guessing its more suited for down tuning? I think the highest tuning periphery uses is drop c?

The pickup picker keeps suggesting the gravity storm for the bridge no matter what music genre i choose, so I guess thats another possiblity. So right now im torn between the tone zone, breed, and gravity storm for the bridge. maybe air zone? so many choices!

kinda interested in the breed for the neck as well. how does it compare with the air norton?
I reviewed the Titans in standard tuning, and Drop D, and they worked beautifully. The ceramic magnet is just one aspect of pickup design, you can't just base thoughts on tone just around that one thing. Type of wire, amount of winds, etc all have as much impact.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

I'm sure the Titan sounds great but I need something fat and the eq of the Titan and the type of music played by the artist suggests to me that it's a tight, percussive pickup. I think the air zone will suit my needs right now. Thanks for the suggestion though.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 07:48 PM

Edited, just realised you mentioned trying the Tone Zone, not that you had one now.

Tags
advice , dimarzio , humbucker , recommendation , warmoth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode