Recommend neck HB for Strat Notched Tone in HH config - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Recommend neck HB for Strat Notched Tone in HH config

Looking for recommendations for a neck humbucker that can produce a convincing Strat Position 4 tone when put in parallel with itself (ideally) or one of its coils put in parallel with one of the Bridge coils (next best).

Or, have you already been down that road and found it can't be done well w/o a middle position single coil, for example? Or w/o using a single coil in the neck position? etc.

The guitar is a basswoord RG with floyd rose and the stock Designed by EMG ceramic pup in the bridge. I know this ceramic bridge pup (vs Alnico 5) doesn't help if I have to use it in combo with the neck pup to get that notch tone, but it's staying put for other reasons.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 10:11 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Recommend neck HB for Strat Notched Tone in HH config

Dominion neck in parallel is great for stratty tones. I use it in a H-H basswood RG with Edge Pro.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, LonePhantom - I will check out some sound clips on the web.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2012, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

On the theoritical pondering side of things: I tried some HSH guitars today, and was suprised to find that none of them sounded close to Strat Position 4 tone, in their own Position 4. I wonder why? It would seem it should work: a single coil of a hum when split and put in parallel with another single coil should come close, but it doesn't. Could it be that each coil of a humbucker has a different wire gauge and winding technique than used in a stand-alone single coil? Again, this is just more out of curisity than the original 'recommendation' question
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Dominion neck in parallel is great for stratty tones. I use it in a H-H basswood RG with Edge Pro.
LonePhantom, have u specifically wired one the Dominion's coils in parallel with one o thw bridge pup's single coils? It's that kind of "notched" tone that I am after. I reviewed Youtube demos of Dominion, Dimarzio's desxription of Dominions, ans even Morton's video interview about these pups - none go as far as talking about this pup's pros or cons for notch tone, just that it splits well.

Thanks
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Disregard that last reply. I didn't read your original reply closely enough. You're saying putting the Dominion in parallel w itself gets pretty close to Strat Position 4 tone, w/o even having to go as far as putting one of Dominion's coils in parallel w bridge coil. Sorry.

Tags
notched sound , notched tone , strat pos 4 sound , strat pos 4 tone , strat position 4 tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode