Recommendations for s470 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 02:33 AM Thread Starter

Recommendations for s470

hi everyone,

New to this forum. I am actually mainly a Strat/Tele classic rock/blues guy, but ever since the original FGM100 (the fluorescent yellow Frank Gambale signature model) came out and I had a chance to play one over 20 years ago, I have lusted for a Sabre body Ibanez. I'm now the proud owner of an MIK s470, and it's a fantastic guitar in terms of playability, but the stock pickups leave a bit to be desired (not as much articulation? overdriven tones are not very tight?) So I'm looking for recommendations!

The s470 of course is mahogany with a rosewood fretboard (22 frets). It has the ZR trem.

My current amp is a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. This might not be the best amp for the type of music I'm talking about here; I'm also open to amp suggestions!

Type of music interested in playing: I'm looking to use this guitar to play more jazz-fusiony stuff (think early Frank Gambale "Live"/Chick Corea Elektric Band "Light Years", Greg Howe "Introspection"-ish tone, not so much Herman Li). So I guess this means Strat-ish cleans for compressed rhythm playing and really creamy but tight overdrives for leads, and not too much output or low end.

Brand of pickup is not important. In fact, if people have GFS-ish (that is, cheap knockoffs that get you 90% of the tone while spending less than half the price of a name brand, so much the better!). All my Strats are GFS partscasters, but I've heard that humbuckers are harder to make than single coils.

Thanks to AlaskaBat for informing me about the proper subforum and etiquette to post this to.

cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 07:56 PM

Re: Recommendations for s470

maybe you should try the the AT-1, it's the signature model of Andy Timmons, he plays rock but also some fusion stuff, it's a medium output humbucker and he uses it on his AT300 wich is mahogany, has a good sound with enough bass and mids not brigth, but also not muddy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n18Z2...ure=plpp_video

I have and S470 and put that pickup and I like it, I have alse an Evo in the neck, wich is good but sometimes I feel that overpowers the AT-1 in the bridge a little... I'll leave you a video of my S470 too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfWVr...7&feature=plcp
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

cheers! I've heard good things about the AT-1 as well, maybe Ill give it a try! Nice playing and tone on your video, too!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustydomino View Post
cheers! I've heard good things about the AT-1 as well, maybe Ill give it a try! Nice playing and tone on your video, too!
thanks bro, hope you can find the rigth pickups for your guitar

Last edited by rub_800; 08-07-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Tags
fusion , jazz , pickups , s470

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode