removing humbucker cover Dimarzio - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By dolemitehc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

removing humbucker cover Dimarzio

Hi, need help.
anybody actually ever happen to remove the silly cover on the dimarzio pandemonium, sonic ecstacy, and so on?
What beneath the cover? is it a normal open coil humbucker?
I understand that somehow the cover was soldered to the base plate, is it safe to remove that damn cover?

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 04:30 AM

Yes you can remove the cover if you can get rid of the solder, people have been removing the covers from their Gibson pickups for years to get more output from them.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
Hi, need help.
anybody actually ever happen to remove the silly cover on the dimarzio pandemonium, sonic ecstacy, and so on?
What beneath the cover? is it a normal open coil humbucker?
I understand that somehow the cover was soldered to the base plate, is it safe to remove that damn cover?
Its usually not a problem at all. But I have seen (only twice) where the covers were glued or hot glued underneath & yes from factory. One was a bit of a mess to cleanup. The other just peeled off and I heard it was to prevent the covers which were specific to those pickups vibrating and making noise so if you put the covers back on, you need to hot glue them again.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Re: removing humbucker cover Dimarzio

OK, thanks guys.
There is pandemonium on sale locally, I'm toying with idea to remove the cover and leave it open cream coils.
Would be great for my future RG 550DX.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchrave View Post
Yes you can remove the cover if you can get rid of the solder, people have been removing the covers from their Gibson pickups for years to get more output from them.
I thought the problem was that the cover would make the guitar squeal a lot...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 02:28 AM

I've only tried removing a cover once and I ruined the pickup somehow. Its was a Dimarzio D-Activator and it just wouldn't fit in the guitar I was trying to put it in with the cover on. I got the solder off which was tricky but then yes it was also glued to the pickup. I managed to get it off, but then I threw the pickup on a meter and it was dead...registered fine before I messed with it. So be careful, good luck!
psychoshredder likes this.

Tags
cove , dimarzio , r pandemonium

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode