Removing the tone control - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Removing the tone control

Currently i have a RG550, i am thinking of taking out the middle pickup and wire up the 2 humbuckers in the JPM configuration. I would also like to remove the tone control and move the volume control to the tone position (something like PGM volume position). I will be getting a new pickguard for these new changes.

Questions:
1) Must i change capacitors if i remove the tone controls?

2) Will the sound of the guitar be different without the tone knob?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 12:54 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it'll be a bit brighter. And you'll have a hole to fill.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 02:43 PM

Regarding the hole, just because the tone control is disconnected doesn't mean it needs removed. A buddy of mine had me alter his bass so there was no tone control and no volume, just a three way switch that was wired Neck-OFF-Bridge. It was full volume whenever it was on. But the point is, I just left all the knobs an pots in all the spare holes so it still looked normal with no holes, but the knobs were 'dummies'.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 03:06 PM

The capacitor for the tone control will be out of the circuit, so you don't have to do anything with that.
The one on the volume control stays, if that's what you're used to.

Myself; I automatically take tone controls out of the circuit BUT leave them in, as they look strange without them (unless it's a Kramer Baretta or something =]).
The cap on the volume I always remove - it's personal taste. I use slight variations in volume to affect tone as well... without the cap on there, you can lower the volume just a fraction, and this also cuts some of the high frequencies.
Your guitar will sound different without the tone control; you'll regain some top end that's normally lost to ground through that part of the circuit.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 11:16 PM
EKG

Sounds like you've done this before, Steve

ytseman, if you want it like a PGM, just print out a schematic from Ibanez and rewire as shown. It might just be me, but I would use new pots and caps, since I would be "under the hood" anyway ;-)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice!
There will be no holes to fill in the new setup - i will be getting a new pickguard

Steve - So you do not install any capacitors on your guitars?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 01:45 AM

ytseman,
Correct: I do not put the capacitor onto my volume control - and, if it's there (as is the case with all of the Ibanez guitars I've ever purchased) I remove it and store it away.
It's just what I'm used to; when I want to vary my tone, I use the volume control (as noted previously) and change pickup selections to suit.
I also rewire with 4-pole superswitches, using two humbuckers (current exception is my LNG, which is wired up with normal Split-5 config).
My wiring scheme for the H/H guitars is the same as a stock RG7, except that the middle position gives me the outside coils of the pickups together (bit more of a Telecaster type of hollow twang, compared to the Strat-like bell chime sound of the inside coils).

Eddie - oh, indeed, I've done this a few times. =]
I figure something else, too; to me, these types of guitars (the Ibanez ones =]) just look really ODD without a tone control on there. The K7 - just volume... that's how mine are all wired, but it just looks like something's missing. So I figured that my signature model (hypothetical, naturally) would be wired as I prefer, and would indeed have to include a non-connected tone knob, just to balance the look.
Like a spare tire, perhaps.
=]

Tags
ibanez guitars , kramer baretta , pickup selection

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode