Replace Jackson RR3 Seymour Duncan Setup with DiMarzio PAFPro and The Fred - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Replace Jackson RR3 Seymour Duncan Setup with DiMarzio PAFPro and The Fred

Hi there !

I own several guitars, and till now, the sound of my Ibanez JS1000BK is the one, I would prefer at all.

In my Jackson RR3 USA Model, there is an unknown passive Seymour Duncan Setup, which maybe sounds nice, if your style goes in the direction black metal and so on.

But my style is more Satriani like and so I become the idea, to replace the Duncans with the same setup (neck PAF Pro and Bridge The Fred) as it is already working in my JS1000.

So, my question is, will that work ? I´m afraid of, that the shape of the RR3 body will maybe cause a totally different sound in comparison with the JS1000.

Has anyone experience with this kind of modification?

thx for your help and many greetings from germany,

Dirk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 09:44 AM

Re: Replace Jackson RR3 Seymour Duncan Setup with DiMarzio PAFPro and The Fred

Is your RR a bolt-on or neck-thru? Hardtail or trem? The construction method and body/neck woods will play a more important role in the overall tone of the guitar, rather than the shape.

The PAF Pro/Fred combo might sound quite good, but it may not sound like a JS.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Hi Darren,

The RR is from the usa-series, what means, with original floyd rose trem and neck-thru.

What is important for me, is a transparent "singing" tone when I´m playing my solos and the duncan setup cannot give me that.

But because I modified the neck with jumbo-frets, the RR is so smooth to play, that I don´t want to sell it. (feels a little like scalloped)
It sounds just awful with the duncans, so I must change something.

I believe you, that it will not be exactly the same sound as in my JS1000, but I think, it will change a lot.

Greetz,

Dirk
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 01:45 PM

From the Jackson Website:

RR3 Rhoads

MODEL NAME Jackson RR3 Rhoads
MODEL NUMBER 290-3000-(Color#)
SERIES Pro Series
COLORS Solid Colors:
(503) Black, (BLK),
(530) Deep Candy Blue, (DCB),
Transparent Colors:
(585) Transparent Black, (TBK),
(586) Transparent Blue, (TB),
(590) Transparent Red, (TR),
Graphics Colors:
(526) Crimson Swirl, (CS)
(533) Eerie Dess Swirl, (EDS)
BODY Alder with Flame Maple Veneer on Transparent Colors
NECK Bolt-On Maple
NECK DIMENSIONS 1st Fret: .745”, 12th Fret: .810”
TUNING MACHINES Die-Cast Tuners
FINGERBOARD Rosewood
NO. OF FRETS 22 Jumbo Frets
BRIDGE PICKUP Duncan Designed® Detonator™ Humbucker
MIDDLE PICKUP N/A
NECK PICKUP Duncan Designed® Detonator™ Humbucker
CONTROLS Volume (Bridge Pickup),
Volume (Neck Pickup),
Master Tone
BRIDGE JT580 LP Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo
PICKUP SWITCHING 3-Position Toggle:
Position 1. Bridge Pickup
Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups
Position 3. Neck Pickup
HARDWARE Chrome
STRINGS NPS, Gauges:
.009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042
CASE Optional Deluxe Molded Case
PICKGUARD None
SCALE LENGTH 25.5”
WIDTH AT NUT 1-11/16”
UNIQUE FEATURES MOTO Reverse Shark Fin Position Inlays,
Chrome Control Plate

Unless you have something different. The RR3 is made in Japan and has a trem that is the same as the Lo-TRS and is a bolt-on and is alder and and has Sh*tty pickups and sounds like cr*p.

If it is neck-thru, and US made it would have to be an RR1 which come from the factory with a Duncan JB in the bridge and a Duncan Jazz in the neck. Since Fender bought Jackson and switched the body wing material from Poplar the the "Better" alder they changed the tone and vibe of the guitar.

A Dimarzio Super Distortion (or the Fred) would wake this one up and make it a real great sounding guitar. JB's and Alder don't mix well... But the Jazz is supposed to be a good pup...

If it's an RR3, the Detonators are cheap Invaders. Mud heavy pups...

Just my $0.02...

Cheers!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 01:57 PM

I've got an RR1, the original Seymour Duncan bridge pickup sounded too much like a neck pickup to me, so I put a Dimarzio ToneZone in it, since I liked the way my RG3120 sounded. The RR1 with ToneZone still doesn't really sound like my RGs with ToneZones though, and it still sounds a bit like a neck pickup compared to the bridge pickups on the RGs. So I'd say there is a good chance the same pickup in the RR will sound significantly different than in your JS1000BK.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2005, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

Hi there

So, I just remarked, that I own a RR1 and not a RR3 model ---> ;-))) I´ve had the RR3 before... without the shape and the neck, this thing is hell (awful)... I had it @ home in comparison with the RR1... but I think, you cannot really compare it at all.

Ferrous, can you please explain me, what you´re meaning with "will sound significantly different than in your JS1000BK"

Do you mean, it will sound probabley better than before or what ? Or do you mean, that it makes no sense at all ?

And thx too to pinto79, your statement sounds really good.

Greetz,

Dirk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-02-2005, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous Lepidoptera
I've got an RR1, the original Seymour Duncan bridge pickup sounded too much like a neck pickup to me, so I put a Dimarzio ToneZone in it, since I liked the way my RG3120 sounded. The RR1 with ToneZone still doesn't really sound like my RGs with ToneZones though, and it still sounds a bit like a neck pickup compared to the bridge pickups on the RGs. So I'd say there is a good chance the same pickup in the RR will sound significantly different than in your JS1000BK.

did you happen to check the value of the popts on your RR1? i recently did some work on a SL1 and found that it had a 250k tone pot. this kills the high end in a humbucker, in turn making it sound more muddy: like a neck pickup. a 250k volume pot will kill output a little, too. so check your pots. i put in 500k's and that axe was smoking with the 2 singles and the jb.

as far as the RR3...i would say that, if you want the singing sustain, get a slightly hotter pickup. i would recommend the norton, not as fat as the tone zone, but slightly more agressive than the fred. for the neck, try the new paf joe. i've not heard it yet, but hey who knows, it may be that something to awaken that axe.
also, if i'm not mistaken, the rr3 is the korean bolt on, right? the rr1 is the usa and the rr5 is the korean neck-thru hardtail. if its not the rr1, the rr3 has the JT580-LP trem. this is identical to the old lo-trs 2's found on korean ibanez's. these trems affect the tone, too. tone is not as "full" so with this in mind, i would definitely get slightly hotter pickups or change the trem out to a real floyd rose original and pop in the satch combo.

rich

Tags
bridge pickup , bridge pickups , dimarzio super distortion , dimarzio tone , dimarzio tonezone , duncan designed , flame maple , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , jumbo frets , master tone , neck dimensions , neck pickup , neck pickups , paf joe , paf pro , pickup switch , pickup switching , seymour duncan , sounding guitar , super distortion , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode