Replaced pickups on RG, something is not right - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Replaced pickups on RG, something is not right

Hola,
I replaced the pickups on my RG 350, got Evos for the neck and bridge, left the single coil in place. I originally wired it backward so that when the switch was on the neck pup it would use the bridge pup and vice versa. I decided to leave it like this (I hate taking the trem off its zero, although I found out a small set of wire cutters with the rubber handles does an awesome job of blocking the trem). Well, after a while of just dealing with the backward switch it got on my nerves so I rewired correctly, or so I thought. After I put everything back together everything seemed well until i tried to use the neck pickup and the single coil (middle pup) at the same time. The sound was... for lack of a better word "jangly". I assumed the polarity of the pups were opposite, thats seemed like a reasonable explanation, but a couple weeks later (after my strings went bad) I opened it up again and reversed the polarity on the single coil. Something still doesn't sound right but to be honest i don't play with two pickups often at all. Does anyone else know what this is?

Also, I'm hearing that if I changed out the volume pots and switch the sound will be a little better. I'm thinking about just going that route, just wondering if someone else has done this and if they have the Allparts #s handy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 02:28 AM

Re: Replaced pickups on RG, something is not right

i know it's a bit late to suggest this but i guess u could've turned the switch around.
i did this in my les paul a while ago when i replaced the pickups and wired it backwards.. providing there's enuff room in the cavity and you've got enuff length on the wires.

i'm not sure about the jangly sound though..

when i was modding my les pauls i read (on the www.lespauforum.com) that the guitar can be dramatically improved by replacing the pots and caps..

i did this..i changed all the pots for 500k cts and bought some funky jenson paper in oil caps..it made a hell of difference..opened the pickups up and seemed to give me more top end. the fancy cap is cool too. the tone ctrl actually works now..doesn't mud up and on the bridge pickup gives me a sort of half ****ed wah sound...i sort of new to the "modding ibanez" world so i'm not sure exactly what value pots etc.. but i'm sure it'd improve the guitar.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 07:11 AM

Do not forget the 50s wiring :-) That makes a dramatic change too.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 10:44 AM

u said it rufes!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 07:47 AM

Also, check that switch lugs are not in contact. Its happened to me many times. Im lousy at soldering and I leave big blots of tin, which causes two lugs to short-circuit and make horrible sounds
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2005, 09:06 AM

have u noticed that the closer u move the iron to the guitar...the more ur hand seems to shake?

Tags
bridge pickup , bridge pup , les paul , les pauls , neck pickup , neck pup , volume pots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode