Replacement Bridge p/u for RG2550 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Replacement Bridge p/u for RG2550

Hi folks, been here a long time, took a couple of years away from music whilst I did very grown-up things like starting a family etc., have come back to playing again very recently and back to Jemsite, great to be back, and seeing that the forum is as alive and as interesting as ever.

Dug my Ibbys out of the attic for the first time in yonks, playing my '05 RG2550 I noticed that the bridge p/u seems a little dark/muddy for my liking both clean and overdriven. I'm considering swapping the bridge unit for something brighter and clearer-sounding.

I was considering an SD JB as I have one in my DK2M and it sounds excellent both clean and overdriven, that said the dinky has an Alder (IIRC) body and maple neck and fretboard so a nice bright and clear-sounding guitar, how the JB would sound in the much mellower and darker basswood RG is unknown however. Has anyone tried a JB in an RG? How does it sound?

I don't have much experience with pickups as I've never modded any of my guitars, they are all stock. My other Ibby is a green S1XXV, MII, it has the standard INFs and to be honest they sound much clearer and brighter than the RG's DiMarzio/Ibz units. How much of this is the different woods used however is a moot point but my instinct tells me changing the RG's bridge p/u would help. That said, the neck and middle units sound excellent IMO.

I play mainly at home these days and now and again at church, so I play clean a lot there doing mainly rhythm/picking (or with the mildest hint of crunch), at home I play mainly classic rock and shred so varying levels of crunch and distortion with a lot of mids and treble, I don't like scooped tones with mental levels of distortion however.

I don't tend to use any effects at all except from occasional chorus when playing clean and sometimes a distortion pedal at home.

Really appreciate any advice - good to be back again!

Cheers

'87
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Replacement Bridge p/u for RG2550

For a do-everything pickup, I still like the old PAF-Pro, especially for mild crunchy tones. I know it's supposed to excel at highly processed tones but I really like it with not much more than a smidge of effects for clean too.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 03:50 PM

the Paf pro is a good choice

The Tone Zone would give a little more kick and be more comparable to the JB you mentioned

Check out our new website at cottamguitars.co.uk for Dimarzio deals
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 06:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll take a look at these options. Seems that time and time again the JB, PAF Pro and TZ come up as favourite all-rounders.

Ta muchly

'87
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

If your current pickup is dark and mudd, a Tone Zone is not going to help you there, a regular Norton will retain a lot of the TZ's big overall sound but at the same time help tame the 'flub'.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode