Replacement pups for my 1570 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Replacement pups for my 1570

While I love my lefty 1570 I've gotta take it apart soon (well the bridge) so I can install Rich's stud mod kit thing and I thought it'd probably be a good time to replace the stock 'V' pickups as well.

Since I've only had about 3 guitars ever and none of them have had new things shoved in them so I'm a bit of a pickup virgin...ok so... I play mostly rock/metal (most genres) so I'm looking for something that mainly satisfies that but can handle a little of everything else. It's a H-S-H guitar, basswood, maple neck, rosewood board yada yada. I'm saving the dual combo of an Air Norton and Steve's Special for another guitar that'll just be an 2 humbucker guitar and I don't want all my guitars to sound exactly the same.

Right so the point of the thread - what'd work well with the Basswood!? I'll probably stick with DiMarzio's for the time being but as I said I wanna keep the AN an SS for another JP inspired 6 string. Suggestions appreciated haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 12:28 PM

Re: Replacement pups for my 1570

I have a 2000 RG570IP with same specs as yours and last week I finally took the plunge and ripped out the V8 bridge pickup and replaced it with a Dimarzio Evolution (F-spaced bridge model). Let me tell you the guitar is awesome now. Harmonics just jump out of the guitar, and the tone just makes me want to play it non-stop. I'm into Vai, Satriani, Gilbert - surprise, surprise - on this forum!. I left the stock neck and middle pickups in for now but I will replace them soon. I have a couple other RG's a 550 & 570 that will be getting similar treatment soon but I may try some other pickup combos.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 12:45 PM

Evo or a TZ in bridge shall kick ass in exponential order.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 01:13 PM

Well, I don't know, it depends on the kind of rock you're talking about. Evo's are obviously what everyone's going to say, they're the best lead pickup out there for the most part. However, don't expect super Marshall crunch with Evo's in basswood. This is 100% my opinion here, but I'd say best lead goes to Evo, best all purpose pup goes to PAF pro, best in between those two is Fred, and best rythm is Steve's special. That's for bridge, for neck I'd say PAF Pro all the way, but they may or may not be what you're looking for. They can get a really trebly neck sound but with the tone knob they can get nice mellow sounds as well. In the end, it's up to you.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

It'd be the heavier end of rock mainly. Although this would be my standard tuned guitar. So mainly Dream Theater, Vai, all the sort of stuff you'd expect a Jemsite forumer to play on a pointy RG haha.

Last edited by dreaming_neon_black; 07-28-2005 at 01:40 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaming_neon_black
It'd be the heavier end of rock mainly. Although this would be my standard tuned guitar. So mainly Dream Theater, Vai, all the sort of stuff you'd expect a Jemsite forumer to play on a pointy RG haha.

i like heavier stuff as well, i dont drop tune either, i have a super distortion and it sounds great. I am getting a super 3 sometime soon , should be here anyday and it is a made for metal pickup as well.

i have some clips and stuff, if you'd like to hear it pm me with your e-mail and i will send you a clip or two.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Sure, if you look at my name on the left, underneath are my contact things for MSN, YM and AIM. I hardly ever go on AIM though so pick outta MSN and Yahoo.

Sorry I've been a bit vague. My next guitar will be more of a metal beast - Air Norton, Steve's Special and a Roland GK3 Internal pickup so I can get the VG-88 and do the heavy stuff in standard and then have the option to do all the drop tunings on that for the nasty stuff haha. My 1570L is gonna be for the heavy but not HEAVY stuff - so hard rock and everything below that, and the other one will be for hard rock and beyond into the realms of \m/ metal \m/

Hope it makes sense now.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-08-2005, 05:29 AM

evo in bridge woudl be cool
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

To bring this back from the dead, I was thinking of a Tone Zone and a PAF Pro, and not sure what to have for the middle though *muses*
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:40 PM

Dimarzio Blue Velvet pickup for the middle. Also, if you want a neck pickup with a little more clarity than the PAF Pro then check out the PAF Joe pickup.

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , dimarzio blue velvet , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , humbucker guitar , maple neck , neck pickup , paf joe , paf pro , pickup combo , rosewood board , super distortion , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in