Replacing EMGs with something passive - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Replacing EMGs with something passive

Hi,

I recently picked up a PRS Torero. Lovely guitar to play, and looks killer too. It came with EMGs - 81/85.

They are nice in their own way. Definitely compressed though, most notable when doing cleans. I must admit, it's a nice sound... but it doesn't have the same expressive character as any of my passive guitars. The way I see it, I can dial in compression on those if I want it.

I'm therefore minded to replace the EMGs with a set of DiMarzio Gravity Storms.

I have a JEM7V with Evolution pickups. Sounds killer so I know I like them. However, I want to try something a little different, albeit still hot to a degree, so the Gravity Storms sound good.

Pickups that can clean up fully are a requirement - one thing I noticed with the EMGs is that I have to back the gain _way_ off to keep it clean!

I'll be installing a push/pull switch for coil splitting.

Are there any other pick-ups that I should be considering? Flexibility is the key: Everything from beautiful cleans, through a bit of crunch, up to ROCK !!! Not so much the metal side of things.

Anything from Bareknuckle? I'm in the UK so the pricing is acceptable...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 05:45 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Replacing EMGs with something passive

Before you swap them out, remember you'll need to add a ground wire to the spring claw. Does the PRS already have a hole from the electronics cavity to the spring cavity for that?

Also, try the 18V mod for the pickups first, it gives you more clean headroom, and gives the pickups a more organic sound.

Get yourself three battery snaps, and solder each red wire to another snap's black wire until they are all joined together. Then use one snap to connect to the stock battery snap, and hook up two nine volt batteries to the remaining snaps. Easily reversible, and will only cost a couple of dollars.

Also for the cleans, don't have the EMGs too close to the strings. Just because you can have them really close to the strings doesn't mean you should. You definitely won't be able to clean up the tone that well. Back them right off until the distorted and cleans work for you. I've had the same set in guitars and never had a problem with this. Shouldn't be too hard.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 01:51 AM

Reviews: 15

What LP said ^^^^^ Or...you can also try swapping the pickup positions: put the 85 in the bridge and 81 in the neck. You'll definitely notice a difference, for the better of course.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks - I may well give that a whirl. But who can resist the lure of a lovely new set of Gravity Storms ???

Regarding the earthing wire (and of course the other required mods: Replacement pots, rewire of jack to be mono) -- I'll be getting my tech to do this. I'd be getting a push/pull installed to allow the usual single coil modes to be engaged on the three-way switch as well. Same setup as on my PRS Custom 24 which is really cool!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2013, 04:49 PM

the 85 in the bridge is much better IMO. the 18 volt mod only take two nine volts.

i would recommend either blackouts or live wires. The dave mustaine livewires are active versions of the seymour duncan sh 4 jb and sh 2 jazz. They have all the greatest things from active and passive. Power, clarity, dynamics, and let the guitar's natural dynamics come through.

if you like the 85 in the bridge, you could get 89s. The 89 is the same as the 85 but with a coil tap option that turns the pickup in to something like an emg sa.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 03:03 AM

Reviews: 34

You should be considering Bare Knuckle pickups IMHO.

They make a passive "version" of the EMG Zakk Wylde set as well as some other really great pickups.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

Any particular Bare Knuckle recommendations?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 03:10 AM

Didn't like the Miracle Man all that much.

Like the VHII and Holy Diver in the bridge position.

Using Rebel Yells in a les Paul copy and I love them, they clean up well with valve amps
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 03:11 AM

Give Steve at PJ's guitar centre in Portsmouth and tell him I sent you. That is the guy that put me onto BKP's and he knows his stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode