Replacing pickups in JEM7DBK. Aiming for Petrucci-esque tone - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Replacing pickups in JEM7DBK. Aiming for Petrucci-esque tone

I'm only replacing the humbuckers. The Breeds are good, but they're not exactly what I'm looking for. I feel guilty even considering modifying my JEM, but I'd rather have guilt than tonal desire. I play blues, classic rock, some classical, and clean stuff, but mostly more hard-edged, metal stuff. I want my guitar to retain its versatility, which I'm sure it will, but I really want to get closer to Petrucci's tone from the Images and Words era. That's the one specific tone that I love and want. I'm pretty much set on the neck Air Norton, but I'm not sure about the bridge. I'm stuck on the Tone Zone and the Steve's Special. I think I would like the Steve's Special more, but I'm not really sure, so I'm asking you guys. I'll worry about the wiring after I decide on the pickups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 05:26 AM

if your going for a more Petrucci type sound, then yes a Steve's Special. The Tone Zone is too brutal on the low end and the mid's for a Petrucci type sound.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 09:22 AM

I thought he used a Tone Zone on the older stuff, I&W included.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 01:12 PM

In my experience, Tone Zone can be a little bright in basswood (I just put one into my Peavey Wolfgang). Very cool for rock tones, but not necessary for Petrucci's tone. The Steve's Special is, IMO, the only way to go on this one.

--B
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AARRGGHHH
I thought he used a Tone Zone on the older stuff, I&W included.
no he's used Steve's Specials for as long as I can think of. The SS was in his Ibanez Custom RG's and then after he went to Music Man they custom wound pickups to sound like the SS and the Air Norton but more of what he wanted. So the SS and AN combo is the way to go if you want a Petrucci esk sound.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2004, 04:13 PM

Images and Words was recorded before the Steve's Special or Air Norton even existed. His guitar had a ToneZone - PAF Pro setup from what I understand.

Probably started on the SS after using the UV on Awake, since it's so close to a Blaze bridge model.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 08:34 AM

Reviews: 3
Re: Replacing pickups in JEM7DBK. Aiming for Petrucci-esque tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
Images and Words was recorded before the Steve's Special or Air Norton even existed. His guitar had a ToneZone - PAF Pro setup from what I understand.

Probably started on the SS after using the UV on Awake, since it's so close to a Blaze bridge model.

Sure about that? He's playing his ibanez signature model on the vid for pull me under, and that has a steve's special and "norton lite" in it.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 06:11 PM

Re: Replacing pickups in JEM7DBK. Aiming for Petrucci-esque tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by vai n maiden
Sure about that? He's playing his ibanez signature model on the vid for pull me under, and that has a steve's special and "norton lite" in it.
You don't think he had a Artist Custom Shop of his Piccasso before the Sig line was released? The JPM100-P1 didn't hit the market till 1996. He was in Dimarzio ads with his custom in 95 for the Air Norton(that was the first year of it). In the 1995 Ibanez catalog it shows him under the RG series, but there's no JPM, in 1996 it shows the JPM P1 with an Air Norton. The Norton 'lite' I think was an internal Ibanez name for it, or possibly what was used in Japan during the installation/wiring process.

I&W came out in 1992. It was recorded "between October & December 1991". I've heard other people mention him using a TZ in his older customs, and considering this was years before the SS, it makes sense.

Tags
air norton , blaze bridge , custom shop , ibanez catalog , paf pro , peavey wolfgang , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode