Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Replacing stock pups on Ibanez RG2127X with DM's - schematic

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Raffel 
#1 ·
Hello,

You probably get this question a lot, but using the search, i couldn't really find a satisfactory solution to my problem.

I've ordered a 7-string Evo and Air Norton for my RG2127x. Now when they arrive, i'll basically know how to connect it, but the wires seem to differ in color from the schematics and diagrams i've seen so far. So is there a diagram that would help me get past this problem? I've checked ibanez's website. But it's always stock pups being changed by other dimarzio's than i'm getting. So i basically don't know the wire colors.

Soldering the pickups shouldn't be a problem though :)

And another thing. How will i know i'm not mounting the pups backwards? Is there a measure to follow?

Thanks in advance...

#2 ·
Re: Replacing stock pups on Ibanez RG2127X with DM's - schem

Raffel said:
I've ordered a 7-string Evo and Air Norton for my RG2127x....the wires seem to differ in color from the schematics and diagrams i've seen so far. So is there a diagram that would help me get past this problem? I've checked ibanez's website. But it's always stock pups being changed by other dimarzio's than i'm getting.
the wire colors on all DiMarzio pickups are the same, regardless of model -- an Evo is the same as an AN, etc. so if you have a diagram for any DiMarzios, like Kevan Geier's diagram for installing DiMarzios in a Double Edge guitar like yours [ www.projectguitar.com/tut/rewire.htm ; it also includes his piezo wiring mod but just ignore that], then you'll be set. that diagram does have some phasing issues, but i don't think you will encounter them with the stock wiring.

Raffel said:
And another thing. How will i know i'm not mounting the pups backwards?
the standard way to mount humbuckers with one coil of screw pole pieces and another coil of flat slug poles [like the AN] in a 2 HB setup is with the screw poles as the outer coils -- bridge HB screw coil closest to the bridge, neck HB screw coil closest to the neck. this style comes from the way gibson mounted humbuckers in the 50s when they invented them.

to do this on DiMarzio pickups, since they don't make different neck and bridge versions of their pickups, you will need to unscrew the bottom of the pickup, CAREFULLY pop the magnet out, rotate it 180 degrees on the flat face, and slip it back in. if you don't flip the magnet, the in-between switch positions of different coil combinations won't hum cancel.

if you don't want to flip the neck pickup magnet, you could also mount the neck pickup "backwards" by having the screw pole pieces away from the neck, closer to the bridge. you may have to change the wiring scheme from the wiring diagram, but once you get the wiring right the magnet polarities should hum cancel in the in-between switch positions.

[i don't know if Kevan's diagram assumes the neck pickup is installed "forwards" with the magnet flipped or not.]

on a pickup like the Blaze II where both coils have pole pieces that look exactly the same, none of this matters, since the pickup will never look "forwards" or "backwards."

#4 ·
Raffel said:
But if i understand correctly, the screw poles will already be raised on one side of each humbucker when they come out of the package right? Or will i have to open the pup up regardlessly?
uh, i'm not sure you understand [so be REALLY careful before you do anything to your pickup, so you don't ruin it]. the magnetic polarity has nothing to do with the screw poles and how high they are raised.

the pole pieces in a pickup get their magnetism from a flat bar magnet that is underneath the coils -- kind of like putting a steel nail against a magnet for a long time, the pole pieces begin to become slightly magnetic on their own. this bar magnet is what gives the coils their magnetic polarity, one coil is North since it sits on top of the North half of the magnet, and the other is South. if you unscrew the bottom cover of the pickup, you can pop the magnet out, rotate it 180 degrees, and slip it back in. this will change the magnetic polarity of each coil by changing which half of the bar magnet it is sitting on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.