Replacing a warm and muddy Tone Zone in an SIR70 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Replacing a warm and muddy Tone Zone in an SIR70

I have an recent Iron Label S series (SIR70FD) , 24 frets, gibraltar II standard hardtail, mahogany body, nitro wizard neck (maple and I think wenge 3-piece neck and bound rosewood fingerboard). I'm using 9-42 EXL or NYXL strings. Amplification varied, I like my blackstar club 40, occasionally use a VS100 combo, a JMP1 preamp or a GT-6.

I bought the guitar as a no-nonsense workhorse that I wouldn't be precious about, and I'm having some health problems that make a light guitar vastly preferable.

My previous workhorse was an ART80 with a Fred in the bridge and an Iron Gear Hot Slag (i think) in the neck. It was ok. Perhaps a bit of a mid honk I'd rather not have, but that made it do a reasonable impression of an LP. It got too heavy and i wanted a more wizzard-feeling neck so it went.

It was intended to be a companion to a very road-worn Fuji-gen S520 with a pair of Evos and I really like it as a stunt guitar. It's very tight sounding and goes from being part of the rhythm texture to buring leads very easily. Too easily and the trem just encourages inappropriate levels of showing off. This replaced the role of my maverick X1 which was obscenely heavy, and the only guitar I have owned and not changed pickups on.

I'm playing something vaguely rock/metal sounding most of the time, although my own projects tend to have a synth driven electronic side. Accused of being prog, and one of the guitarists I work with a lot likes to get a violin out and go all Ed Alleyne-Johnson. I quite like early Offsping, Bad Religion and Pennywise, local goth-scene bands (Sisters, New Model Army, March Violets) and symphonic stuff like Nightwish and Within Temptation. Also Dragonforce, rising force era Yingwie, Racer X, bits of Vai and Satriani. I've appreciated more technical music as I have got older.

My problem is this, I'm finding the Tone Zone in the bridge of my SIR70 has an overwhelming bottom end and lacks clarity. It was even worse on 10-46 strings. It's not just in my head, afforementioned violinist/guitarist really dislikes it as it's so broad sounding it's either dominating the mix or inaudiable and not a lot in between. He's playing a classic rocket-roll (mental squealy old dimarzio in the bridge, unsure if stock), a peavey stunt-guitar with an X2N in the bridge or the afforementioned maverick (very tight sounding and razor precise when cranked).

I like the Air Norton in the neck of the SIR and would rather not replace it to balance a new bridge pickup, but I probably will have a use for it. I'm considering taking the true velvet out and doing VLX91 HH switching, it's really useful on the S520 and I have to have the true velvet backed off or it gets in the way. I have a steam hammer in the bridge at the moment which is ok, but that's all it is. It doesn't have the growling overtones that most dimarzios (fred, evo, tone zone to some extent) have to some extent and it's not as tight and precise as I'd like. That said when it went in I thought it sounded like an Invader (long sold) in a bright strat and played through most of dude ranch without thinking. I found the invader good in a bright guitar but it lacked definition on anything complicated, although it hid mistakes well. Talking of cliches i've got a duncan dime somewhere, I like what it does, it's very tight and precise, but it's too much and lacks subtlety. not tried it in a few years though. I think that's destined for the partscaster I'm building that is likely to be kept in a low tuning.

I'm not sure if an evo would be a good match on a hardtail and I'd like something a bit warmer, I've used a fred before but I think it's a bit down on output to match the air norton. I'm loathe to keep trying pickups in this one as they are body mounted, so i need to drill the threads out. Furthermore the pickup cavity is carved to fit pointy dimmarzio mounting ears so I've had to file the ears on the iron gear i'm using at the moment and I suspect the same would be true for almost anything else, so I can't afford to be messing around on pickup swaps.

I'm considering an Evo2 or Gravity Storm 2 with the intent that they'd be like the Evo but down a notch in presence, Mo'Joe as I liked the Fred in my last mahogany hardtail but thought it needed more output, D-Activator and a black winter are also intreaguing but I don't know enough about them. Entertaining the possibility of going Bare Knuckle but dont know enough about the range. Can anyone shed some light on my dilemma?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 12:50 PM

Re: Replacing a warm and muddy Tone Zone in an SIR70

The SIR70FD is a very powerful and resonant guitar. It really stood out from my other sabres as the hard tail really ensured that all the harmonic detail is picked up. I know what you mean about the Tone Zone being "boomy" in that particular guitar.

While I didn't actually do a pickup swap in my SIR70FD (I eventually returned it as the fretwork was terrible), I had always intended of putting an Evo 2 in it. I felt that the Evo 2 would just be "right".

I've always liked the Evo 2 in mahogany but I'm not a fan of the original Evo as I find it a little too unrefined.

However with a super resonant guitar, I always felt like the Evo 2 would make the guitar sing and cut through the mix comfortably. Also, from experience, the Evo 2 also cleans up hilariously well - especially in split positions.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I had to take about more than a mm out of the nut slots and next string change is going to be a minor fret dress and major polish I think. I'd say quality of the indonesian made S series was a bit of a let down, but it's one of the better guitars I've had, and there are 8 necks on my bench...
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 02:36 AM

Reviews: 15

Have you considered the dimarzio crunch lab or d-sonic? I've had the crunch lab/liquifire set in both my sz720 and rg520 (both mahogany bodies) and thought they were clear and had plenty of punch. And since Petrucci is a prog kinda guy....there ya go.

Tags
ibanez , mahogany , sir70

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode