rerouting for active? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Question rerouting for active?

I want to change one of my guitars that is H-S-H with volume and tone knob, to H-X-H with just a tone knob. I have dimarzios in the guitar currently, and want to put SD blackouts... My question is, do shops provide this service normally? Will it be difficult? and lastly, where would I put the Battery, what space will it fit in? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:14 PM

Re: rerouting for active?

most big guitar shops would do it, ask a couple by phone for a quote if you dont have one in mind.

It not difficult, i would recommend having a go yourself just to learn a bit about guitar electronics, it helps with understanding tone.

There is normally enough space in the cavity for a battery,
if there isnt i guess you could always put it in the single pickup slot for quick changing.

Call it a custom quick change mod and you could be the next Eddie Van Halen.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInRockFormations View Post
most big guitar shops would do it, ask a couple by phone for a quote if you dont have one in mind.

It not difficult, i would recommend having a go yourself just to learn a bit about guitar electronics, it helps with understanding tone.

There is normally enough space in the cavity for a battery,
if there isnt i guess you could always put it in the single pickup slot for quick changing.

Call it a custom quick change mod and you could be the next Eddie Van Halen.
isn\t there a bit of work involved? such as replacing 500k pots with 25k, and changin the output jack?? do i need to get a new preamp as well??? If i provide the music store with the pickups, and the pre amp, how much do you think they will charge for the work process??? Thanks!!!!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:58 PM

what they charge will vary a lot depending on who does the job and what you ask them to do, replacing the strings and doing a basic setup would be a normal part of the job but some might charge for this as an extra.

it also depends on the guitar, for example if it has a floyd it takes more time to set up after the job is done.

Also if you order the pickups and parts from them some places might fit them for free or at a special rate.

I think you just have to call around your area and see what they say.

Fitting them yourself could end up a bit messy but when you learn the hard way it sticks.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
what they charge will vary a lot depending on who does the job and what you ask them to do, replacing the strings and doing a basic setup would be a normal part of the job but some might charge for this as an extra.

it also depends on the guitar, for example if it has a floyd it takes more time to set up after the job is done.

Also if you order the pickups and parts from them some places might fit them for free or at a special rate.

I think you just have to call around your area and see what they say.

Fitting them yourself could end up a bit messy but when you learn the hard way it sticks.
Right, so If I buy the Blackouts from them and they put them in for me, and then they set it up (on my floyd rose) how much do you think approximately it will cost? Give me a very rough estimate? Considering the pups will be 220$ locally. Thanks very much man, i appreciate all your help
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 04:20 AM

no idea of prices in Canada,
as a wild guess I would say if you can get it done for less than $50 its a great deal,
if they ask more than $100 its probably fair but may be some scope for bargaining.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
no idea of prices in Canada,
as a wild guess I would say if you can get it done for less than $50 its a great deal,
if they ask more than $100 its probably fair but may be some scope for bargaining.
Hey man, I appreciate your help greatly!!! I have just one last question to sum this up... Do you think I should keep two knobs - one a tone and volume? Or just a volume knob, and no tone knob. Eventually I will want to get a amp setup to correct my tone through. Thanks again!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:01 PM

Keep the tone knob... gives you a bit more to work with.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:50 PM

personally I would dump the tone knob,
less soldering, more space for the battery, you dont have to squash the wires up so much, less to go wrong,
and its one less thing to remember when you are trying to remember how you got that great tone last week.

But most people seem to like them so i suppose the sensible advice is keep it.

Tags
blackouts battery

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode