Reversed polarity Breed - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2020, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Reversed polarity Breed

I have bought a set of used Breed humbuckers to replace the Evolution set in my Jem.
At the back of the neck pickup there is a round sticker with the letter R on it.
What does that mean? Reversed polarity?
Should this one be wired differently than the regular Dimarzio wiring?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 06:47 PM

Re: Reversed polarity Breed

regular spacing?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 06:56 PM

you can also check the polarity by taking the breed bridge and placing the two pickups face to face and see if they attract or repel magnetically. The coil where the wire is coming out should repel the same coil on the other pickup.

If it turns out the polarity is flipped you have to open up the pickup's baseplate and flip the magnet. Flip it the long way, like a propeller if that makes sense
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhc090020 View Post
regular spacing?
F-spaced. It came of a Jem. Ibanez written on the bobbin.
I have measured it and checked polarity and it seems to be exactly like a regular Dimarzio.
The former owner told me that this neck and bridge pickup were wired black=hot, red+green=tap, white+bare=ground.
Don’t know why Ibanez wire them like that but the result should be the same anyway I think?
It was just confusing with the R sticker on the back.

I got this message from Dimarzio support:

The “R” would usually indicate reverse-polarity, but there aren’t many good reasons to do this, because both coils on the Breed are identical. Normal polarity is the South coil located over the cable exit, which is the best way to verify the polarity if you have a polarity checker or a compass.

If the pickup truly is reverse-polarity but the connections were unaltered, the normal JEM connections will not apply to this pickup. Instead, red=green and black=white.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2020, 07:26 PM

that's odd, normal wiring should've been red=hot/black+white=tap/green+bare=ground

looks like the way it was wired they swapped the start and finish of the coils, which still works I guess just weird
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 10:09 AM

Could be R for Rear, and F for Front pickup.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2020, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peromucho7 View Post
Could be R for Rear, and F for Front pickup.
Perhaps. But rear pickup is for me the bridge pickup and not the neck.
One thing that cross my mind is if it’s just something left from the production, a way to tell the person who assembled the electronics together at the the Fujigen factory that this neck pickup should be mounted reversed on the pickguard (cable exit to the neck). Or if Dimarzio used the R sticker so they were sure to write Ibanez on the right place on the bobbin top.
Anyway, both pickups are now installed the normal Dimarzio way and they sound awesome!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode