RG 2820 pickup switch to Evo wiring - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

RG 2820 pickup switch to Evo wiring

I just replaced the stock dimarzio/ibz bridge pickup from my Ibanez RG 2820 with a Evolution dp159, but the original wiring is different then the suggested Dimarzio wiring. My RG has an 3 way pickup selector witch 12 poles in the back. I placed a picture from the original wiring.

The thing is that the stock pickup was wired : red connected to green to switch ,white alone to switch and black to ground. See picture below , upper pickup wire is bridge. It looks like the JPM wiring but not just the same

1--2--3--4
| | | |
5--6--7--8
| | | |
9--10-11-12

BRIDGE: red&green to 3
white to 9
black to ground

NECK: red&green to 12
white to 2
black to ground
7&8 together to ground
5&6 together to volume 1st pole

I wired the Evo pickup the same way as the old one, but the tone is not really what I expected, it sounds good, but not that typical Evo sound.
Can someone explain to me how this 12 pole switch works and how I should wire it according to the suggested wiring, red hot, black white together and green to ground. Where should I put the red on this switch? And should I also rewire the stock neck pickup if I do so?

Final question, I found out that I bought a normal spaced Evo where I should have an f spaced one, the outer poles are 1,5mm inside the strings, does that seriously affect the tone or just a minor volume issue?

I would have posted a picture but I am not allowed to do so....
http ://db.tt/7WzDyXBA
This is the link to my picture... Maybe someone else can link this? ( plz remove space)

Last edited by DaChosen1; 02-21-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 05:59 PM

Re: RG 2820 pickup switch to Evo wiring

You have it wired correctly. The evo just might not sound good in that guitar. The JPM and yours are basically achieving the same thing in a slightly different way. Don't worry about the colors being a little different.

In the neck position 1 2 3 4 are connected to 5 6 7 8
In the bridge position 9 10 11 12 are connected 5 6 7 8
In the middle position 9 2 3 12 are connected to 5 6 7 8

These switches can vary a little in what terminals it connects in the middle position, though. You can check it with a multimeter.

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 02-21-2012 at 06:08 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 06:40 PM

Re: RG 2820 pickup switch to Evo wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaChosen1 View Post
Final question, I found out that I bought a normal spaced Evo where I should have an f spaced one, the outer poles are 1,5mm inside the strings, does that seriously affect the tone or just a minor volume issue?
This has been discussed to death, some say you HAVE to get F-spaced, some say you don't, some insist they can hear a difference, others can't hear any...

I did some very crude tests with an oscilloscope many years ago using an F-Spaced Evo Bridge and a standard spaced Evo Bridge. Both gave very similar outputs and voltages when a pure tone (sine wave) was induced through the p/up.

Put the regular in my old RG520, checked output waveform and voltage output using an e-bow that had spacers on it so it would be consistent and recorded the results, did the same with the F and the variation in output was within what I saw when a sign wave was played through the pup.

So, based on this simple test, and the fact that I can't hear any difference, I go with the F-Spaced only for aesthetic reasons, but if I only have a regular spaced P/up, that doesn't stop me from putting it in.

Tags
dimarzio / ibz pickups , evo , rg 2820 , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode