rg1550 questions - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

rg1550 questions

i can get virtual hot paf and paf pro both cheap

in my 1550 there r still stock v7 and v8 ( and they suck )

im actually wanting that gilbert tone , to make my axe similar to PGM sounds, planing to buy GL50L head also hehe

so, do you suggest this combo ?

i know paf pro would be great for achieving this, and i was planning to buy it and place it in neck with maybe just a bit higher output pickup in bridge comparing it to paf pro.
but now i can get those two and paf pro is actually higher output than virtual hot paf, so main question how good are they in combination ? should paf pro go in bridge then ?

or should i just buy paf pro and some other like super distortion for bridge ?

ohhh questions, thanks for suggestions !

p.s. they need to be F spaced right ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 04:54 PM

Reviews: 12
Re: rg1550 questions

If you can get 'em for cheap, put the Paf Pro in the neck... the virtual hot paf is a stacked single coil or some old DiMarzio that's not made?
PGM's are stock with both Paf Pro bridge and neck... the key to make both 'em work is raising the bridge position while lowering the neck position. Otherwise, I prefer a "hotter" bridge... maybe a Breed Bridge might work for your case?
and yes, F-Spaced for Ibby guitars

Reg
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

virtual hot paf should be just a bit lower output paf pro from what i see on dimarzio site .. it's under 'vintage' section.

I see now how PGMs work with lowering and raising positions but i want just a bit more versatility since its my only guitar to have at the moment.

i also would prefeer something bit hotter in bridge, breed seems really nice for soloing and stuff but i dont think i wanna use that high output pickup with paf pro (maybe im wrong , dunno never tryed that combination)..

i'd like to try Breed but im afraid if it wouldnt be too muddy on high gain amp while playing metal? id like natural transparent sounding pickup, that will have raw guitar tone well dfined on high gain, maybe recommend some like paf but bit hotter that will suit my basswood rg ?

sorry so much questions, but i never tryed any other pickups, but after few years playing i clearly see those V sux ass ;O) one in Bridge is terrible, its monotone, very treblish and unresponsive , one in bridge can be used for soloing when i lower it completely otherwise when its raised up on stage volume it all becomes a big mess
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

ok, im in Breed vs AirZone for neck final ;O)

help ;O)

Last edited by rg_user; 01-24-2008 at 06:07 PM.

Tags
breed bridge , bridge position , high gain amp , neck position , output pickup , paf pro , super distortion , virtual hot paf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

does the rg1550 have dimarzio pickups?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode