RG1570 Pickup Replacement Help - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

RG1570 Pickup Replacement Help

Hello all! I need a bit of advise regarding pickups on a new RG1570 I purchased (my 1st Ibby!). I play allot of progressive metal and higher gain music (But I also play electric blues, many forms of "rock", and am currently taking Jazz lessons) and I need a pickup set that will be tight and defined. I am currently playing a Carvin ST300 (hog neck/alder body) with a Super Distortion in the bridge and an Evo in the neck. I used to have the Evo neck and bridge in it, but I replaced the bridge as I did not like the tone I was getting (maybe b/c of the mahogany?). It seemed great for leads, but I could not get a satisfying metal/rythem/palm-mutey chunk out of it (I realize that is not really what it is for, but I was hoping it would be passable). Anyways, this new guitar is basswood, and I was thinking about throwing the Evo bridge in it and transferring the evo neck from my Carvin, but I have heard mixed reviews about Evos in basswood. I have also been considering a crunchlab/liquifire combo as they seem to work well in basswood per a bunch of forum posts I read, also I like JP's tone quite a bit. Anyone have any experience with either of these sets in basswood or have any other suggestions (this is my 1st basswood guitar)?
If it helps, I am playing through a Peavey XXX 212 with KT77 power tubes and a Govener/Wizard speaker set. It sounds great with my Carvin, albeit a bit middy (I have to scoop the mids a fair amount). Thanks ahead of time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:42 PM

Re: RG1570 Pickup Replacement Help

I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, but I highly recommend that you do the magnet swap mod before you spend any money. I just did this yesterday and I can't believe the improvement. The bridge pickup has excellent clarity and the neck is nice and full. It's easy to do. Only took about 45 minutes.\

I was going to spend a couple hundred on pickups but no need now...

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showth...ht=magnet+swap
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. That does seem interesting, although I think I'd rather just replace them straight up. I don't mind spending a bit of money on a new set of pickups, plus I can do the wiring myself no problem. I do however have a cheap guitar with terrible pickups that I could put the v7/v8 and try the magnet swap. Something to consider, thanks for the reply.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 01:34 PM

You're welcome. I'm sure you'll get some useful input.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Awww no replies yet? I get no love
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 03:50 AM

Reviews: 20

Hi, I used to have evo bridge on my RG1570, it sounds great IMO, very balanced and in-your-face. It's not very rig friendly though, I mean when I don't play through my own gear I often need extensive tweaking to make it sound great, cos sometime it gets too shrill. But once you got it dialed in it's amazing.
I also put the same pickup into my mahogany/maple neck thru Rg and it didn't sound as good.. Too much mids

Tags
rg 1570 pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode