RG1570L pickup wiring for positions 2 and 4? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-26-2013, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

RG1570L pickup wiring for positions 2 and 4?

Hey guys, I'm trying to get an answer for this. I have an RG1570L that I'm swapping pickups in. I have a '59 4-con for the neck, an SSL-1L RWRP for the middle, and a distortion TB-6 bridge. I'm told that to get hum-canceling In positions 2 and 4 that I can either do the outside coils with this pickup, or exchange it for a regular SSL-1L and get the inside coils him-canceling. I'm interested in playing more Godsmack, Metallica, and some other kinds of metal tones. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 06:50 AM

Re: RG1570L pickup wiring for positions 2 and 4?

Give the type of music you like I do not think a little background hum will be a big problem

Changing to the outer split coils will have a pretty large effect on the tone, which you might like or not. I suggest you put them in and see if you like the sounds it gives you.
Please do note that you probably want to have the slugged humbucker coils active in split mode. Also you can reverse the wiring of the middle coil hot=ground and ground=hot (change phase) and if it is symmetrical, put it in upside down. Another more SD guarantee killing option is to rotate the magnets of the humbuckers with 180 degrees.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 10:30 AM

Re: RG1570L pickup wiring for positions 2 and 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouke74 View Post
Give the type of music you like I do not think a little background hum will be a big problem

Changing to the outer split coils will have a pretty large effect on the tone, which you might like or not. I suggest you put them in and see if you like the sounds it gives you.
Please do note that you probably want to have the slugged humbucker coils active in split mode. Also you can reverse the wiring of the middle coil hot=ground and ground=hot (change phase) and if it is symmetrical, put it in upside down. Another more SD guarantee killing option is to rotate the magnets of the humbuckers with 180 degrees.
I just saw a neat tutorial regarding properly lining up magnet poles for tonal changes. Pretty interesting, but also pretty involved.

Tags
5-way , split , split coil , switch , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode