RG270 HSH Neck+Bridge wiring options - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

RG270 HSH Neck+Bridge wiring options

Hello all.

I'm going to state this here & now: I'm pretty much new to guitar. I've wanted to play pretty much my whole life as my dad is a musician, but anyway; onward.

I just got my first guitar, an RG270. My goal as of now is to practice up enough to be able to bash out some Buzzsaw Swedish Death Metal ala Nihilist. I've been reading non-stop on guitars & the electrical aspects. I want to smack 2 EMG 81s in there. 1 in the neck & 1 in the bridge. I'll leave the Powersound single in the middle for now.

To explain what the "Swedish Buzzsaw" tone is: Basically extreme gain, lotsa lows & highs. You can listen to Entombed - Left Hand Path to get the general idea.

With that said - What are your opinions on optimal pickup settings to achieve a bright, grinding sound rather than a muddy, bassy one?

What are the differences between having both Neck+Bridge (4) active in parallel to, say, tapping them? I'm a little overwhelmed right now.

I originally wanted to get a Neck & Bridge Humbucker active together, but would this be futile in lieu of other options?

I haven't even opened up my guitar yet, but I have my model's wiring diagram saved. If someone could direct me to some helpful wiring tutorials or something of the like, that would be great.

Thanx for taking the time to read/reply.

Also: I know this is a forum for high-end models, but the official Ibanez forum isn't sending me verification e-mails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 09:49 PM

Re: RG270 HSH Neck+Bridge wiring options

The first point is probably to do with your pickup choice. If you want to keep the current ones but brighten them up, you can install 1000k (1mg?) pots (assuming you have 500k currently).

You could also wire your pickups in parallel to brighten them up and lose some mud, but you'd loose output. Probably not what you want given your musical taste.

Last edited by Greg71; 11-02-2015 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Clarifying.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg71 View Post
The first point is probably to do with your pickup choice. If you want to keep the current ones but brighten them up, you can install 1000k (1mg?) pots (assuming you have 500k currently).

You could also wire your pickups in parallel to brighten them up and lose some mud, but you'd loose output. Probably not what you want given your musical taste.
Thanx for the idea, but I'm not keeping the stock humbuckers. I'm going to start off with just 1 EMG 81 & slap the other one in later (probably when & if I figure out if I need to/can wire them in parallel [Treble takes precedence, but lows are good, too] or series.. Coil tapping, coil splitting.. Argh, so many terms. All I want is to put my 2 potential neck & bridge humbuckers to max effect in shaping the Swedish Buzzsaw tone. Any idea if I need to wire the pickups to have active N+B ala Les Paul or can I achieve some good crunchy warm gain on less complicated setups?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 05:37 PM

Reviews: 120

You're not going to be able to split or parallel wire EMG 81s. Actives don't work that way. If you want to split you need to look at the models that offer single coil mode like the 89.

If you want an LP type setup just swap your 5 way pickup selector for a three way and wire the two 81s in using that. You can leave the single coil in the guitar as a dummy to fill the space on the top of the guitar.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 06:47 PM

Or just put some passives in there, which would allow you to split/series/parallel to your hearts content. When I first started playing I had a Jackson with an active pickup in it. I got over putting batteries in it and when I swapped it out for a passive I couldn't tell the difference anyway.

If you're just starting, you won't be playing gigs through a valve amp so your pickup choice won't matter that much. I'd get passives and have all the wiring options. Seriously.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 11:23 PM

The only thing you need is a HM-2 pedal all cranked and that´s it.

Tags
hsh , pickup , rg270 , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode