RG3120 Switch & Wiring - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

RG3120 Switch & Wiring

I have about had it with wiring a RG3120. I always have something soldered wrong or confused on the Dimarzio wiring diagrams. I opened up my RGPR1 and it had the same wiring and switch. I duplicated the wiring, one wire at a time. Got sound this time but output sounds like crap. Has pretty much full volume but it's like the output level is low.

Are there other five way switches with less complicated schemes that will fit the same mounting hole locations? Why is the stock switch difficult with all the extra wires going from one terminal to the other on the switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 12:23 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: RG3120 Switch & Wiring

The Ibanez 3PS1SC5 switch is designed for two humbuckers with 5 different positions, and is much more like a standard 5 way strat style switch. Easier to work on. I've got these on two axes converted to H-H setups, and I'm happy with the array of tones. Does Bridge series - both split - both series - neck parallel - neck series.

Bear in mind though, maybe something other than the switch is wrong, damaged, etc. What exactly is happening?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.
It is probably something I soldered wrong or I bridge two of the solder tabs together with my sloppy soldering.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 06:32 PM

Reviews: 120

Maybe you are best off taking it to a tech and having them go over it then.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Maybe you are best off taking it to a tech and having them go over it then.
You are probably right but I am hard headed. I will probably battle it for awhile and end up with the selector you mentioned.

Tags
rg3120 5-way switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode