RG520QS with Les Paul tone!!! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Banned

RG520QS with Les Paul tone!!!

I know it's impossible to make the RG520 sounds exactly the same as a Les Paul, but i want to get as close as possible. the RG520 has a mahogany body, so i think i might be able to make it sounds pretty alike. any suggestions on what pickups should i get?
is it possible to just put the Gibson Burstbuckers in the RG? and is it a good idea?
thanks! -Sam-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 09:07 PM

Dude it has a basswood body! and u cant get a les paul tone with it unfortunatly!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 09:12 PM

I'd say go for either Gibson pickups, or DiMarzio PAFs, or Seymour Duncan '59s (I'm guessing on these, but they seem to be the closest from what I've heard).

You won't get exact, but you'll get closer than with the stock pickups.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 09:18 PM

Re: RG520QS with Les Paul tone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezer
I know it's impossible to make the RG520 sounds exactly the same as a Les Paul, but i want to get as close as possible. the RG520 has a mahogany body, so i think i might be able to make it sounds pretty alike. any suggestions on what pickups should i get?
is it possible to just put the Gibson Burstbuckers in the RG? and is it a good idea?
thanks! -Sam-
Before you do anything, try this: roll your tone knob all the way back, volume all the way up, on the neck pickup. Playing that through a Fender sounds quite a bit like Boston...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredseventh
Dude it has a basswood body! and u cant get a les paul tone with it unfortunatly!
I did some research and I'm sure the Ibanez RG520QS has a mahogany body not basswood.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Re: RG520QS with Les Paul tone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezer
thanks! -Sam-
Before you do anything, try this: roll your tone knob all the way back, volume all the way up, on the neck pickup. Playing that through a Fender sounds quite a bit like Boston...
oh i've tried that b4, it sounds kinda cool
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 10:30 PM

better try for one of the new icemans dude
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2003, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

my main point is to keep my RG520QS (I love how it looks) and make it sounds like a Les Paul. I don't want to sell it and buy another one
I've heard that EMG's are good. any opinions? and which EMG's should i get for the neck and bridge?
-Sam-
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 02:57 AM

form what i have heard EMGs wont get you a LP sound, a good high output metal sound maybe, but not an LP sound
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AARRGGHHH
form what i have heard EMGs wont get you a LP sound, a good high output metal sound maybe, but not an LP sound
oh... thanks...
so the Gibson Burstbuckers would be a good idea?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 07:22 PM

i say go for it if you can, i think it's a good idea to put gibson pickups in your guitar for a gibson sound.
but
make sure you can fit your pickups into your guitar, i heard that some pickups (like EMGs) won't fit into your guitar because they're too big or something.
try buying the pickups from the a music store (make sure you can return the pickups) so you can return them if they don't fit or you're not satisfied (instead of buying them online off ebay or something)

and look into the other types of gibson pickups too, 'cause some of the Les Pauls use 490Ts and 490Rs
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by atifman
i say go for it if you can, i think it's a good idea to put gibson pickups in your guitar for a gibson sound.
but
make sure you can fit your pickups into your guitar, i heard that some pickups (like EMGs) won't fit into your guitar because they're too big or something.
try buying the pickups from the a music store (make sure you can return the pickups) so you can return them if they don't fit or you're not satisfied (instead of buying them online off ebay or something)

and look into the other types of gibson pickups too, 'cause some of the Les Pauls use 490Ts and 490Rs
thanks! i think i'll try that once i got the money
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 04:13 AM

IMHO there is nothing you can do to make an RG (or any other guitar for that matter) sound like a Les Paul. The closest you could get would be to just fiddle with your tone knobs on your guitar/amp. If you put EMGs or Dimarzios in a Les Paul, it would still sound like a Les Paul, right? If you really think about it, besides the body wood (which is a good start, good luck getting basswood to sound close to a Lester ) an RG and Les Paul are practically polar opposites. I think a new set of pickups may help only a little, but if I were you I would save the $100-$200 (Gibson PU's are spendy) and just roll off the tone and use the neck pickup. Maybe you could mess with it a bit, but I think the bolt on neck and floating bridge will really be a problem from this. At least, I haven't had much luck. I love all my Ibanez's for what they are, they are great guitars, but I do have a Paul kicking around to heed the calls of extra thick tone and sustain. Good luck man, you will soon end up like the rest of us and own WAY too many guitars (and I would bet my Les Paul on that ).
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 10:09 AM

the closest you can get with that RG is to load it with a air zone/air norton set
or a set of EVH wolfgang pups
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-02-2003, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned

oh well... I give up the Les Paul idea... may be I'll just save up enough money and buy a Les Paul
If I were to put ToneZone in the bridge, what would be the best neck pickup? Paf Pro, Humbucker From Hell, or Air Norton?

Tags
air norton , basswood body , bridge pickup , dimarzio paf , fret guitar , fret guitars , gibson les paul , les paul , les pauls , mahogany body , maple neck , music store , neck pickup , neck scale , paf pro , seymour duncan , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode