RG560 Multiple Wiring Options, Prefer Active/Passive Mix - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Question RG560 Multiple Wiring Options, Prefer Active/Passive Mix

Background:
Hi there, been browsing the site for lots of juicy info to help with my project, got a lot of ideas but I'm struggling with wiring choices.
I bought an early square joint RG a few years ago, I now have enough time to give it the love an attention it needs.

It's quite nice, it actually turned out to be a 550 neck on a 560 body. It also has had a tremsetter installed and came with custom passive pickups. The Edge was a bit of a mess but I've restored that now with spare parts, I have high hopes for it.

Actual Question:
I have a mix of spare pickups, including one active SD AHB-1.
I really want to use the Blackout primarily but feel it may be limited on tone on it's own.
I will also have to block out the single coil holes and maybe thin veneer the top, or make a custom scratch plate.

I do have single coils to use, I also have some kind of unmarked Hot Rails looking single coil with 4 wires that came with the guitar.

As far as I can see it should be possible to mix active and passive back to one jack but with the existing holes I would need to wire it up something like 2 volumes for active and passive, it looks like they can go back to the same jack but how to go about wiring the selection up is confusing.
Could I use a 5 way switch, what about the bridge/middle position?

EDIT:
Still aiming towards keeping the bodywork minimal.
Thinking 3 way selector will be easier than 5 way but I will lose the ability to mix the SC pickups.
Also looking into stacked concentric pots so I don't lose tone.
If not for a lack of money I'd also consider EMG SAs or SD AS-1s

Really appreciate any help making the choice.

Last edited by Triplelexx; 09-04-2012 at 05:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Re: RG560 Multiple Wiring Options, Prefer Active/Passive Mix

Don't seem to be drumming up much response.
Should I be doing more searching, or is mixing pickups just deemed an idiotic question?

Stick to passive and not abuse the vintage HSS body.
I mostly love the neck and want to play brutal metal with active pickups?

I'm taking in tons of info on bodywork, that's keeping me busy.
Full on addicted to the threads, major wood...

Today I bought all the electronics and hardware fixings I should need without having to break the bank.
I should be able to test a few configurations, might have to get a bit creative with some chop-block though to save the bits.
  1. Again if I had the money I might go for active single coils to match.
    I'm not against losing tone pots or doing crazy wiring with stacked pots, the guitar is for recording DI (amps/mics nothing special) and I use plenty of effects and processing.
  2. I could rig up a scratch-plate to just leave one active and fill the holes with foam.
  3. I could wire up a fairly decent passive set with the unmarked rail clone in the neck and whatever else I can scavenge for the other slots.
I might as well also add that as soon as I have the money I will be doing the full Graphtech set of mods on this as well.

I think it will play better than anything I've ever had, I want a versatile recording solution focused on midi and brutal metal tone.
Again if I had the money a 7 or 8 string would be in the bag.

I currently have this project, a Schecter which looks like it has potential but needs professional attention and may well have a warped neck, and a basic modern Korean factory Ibanez SA.

I want to make this guitar my own really bad....

Last edited by Triplelexx; 09-04-2012 at 05:52 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-04-2012, 06:45 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: RG560 Multiple Wiring Options, Prefer Active/Passive Mix

You can mix active and passive pickups, but it is pretty awkward to do. You are right in having a volume for your passive pickups, and one for the active, but I think you are going to find it a bit painful to sort out in practice. I think the best bet is to choose one or the other. If you want a heavy sounding active bridge, but want more friendly singles for a more moderate tone there are options out there for that. I would suggest you go that route.

Tags
active , rg560 , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode