RG570 Pickup Upgrade - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2013, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

RG570 Pickup Upgrade

I have an RG570EX which I have replaced the next with a Jem555 neck (due to an accident happening and breaking the old stock neck! - don't leave your guitar lying around while drunk people are about!)

I have had it for over ten years now with the stock V7, V8 and S1 pickups and never been a fan of them. I have started in a new band and finally decided the pickups have to go as they aren't cutting it and just aren't right for the style of music.

I am not a shred metal guitarist (although I was once in my hay-day), I am mainly playing classic rock stuff (Hendrix, Blue Oyster, Van Halen, Bon Jovi etc.) so looking for some pickups with a bit more to them. I have a Les Paul as my second guitar which I have just had 490 and 498 pickups put in with switching for single coil (not got it back yet but can't wait!) so it doesn't need to be a huge sustain guitar (which I know the body won't achieve) just needs a less thin sound - oh and I do enjoy hitting pinch harmonics too on the bridge pickup!

So a couple of questions. I am looking at the following setup and would like to know opinions on it - will it work together and will there be a huge volume change between each pickup. Also I am looking at wiring it with two push/pull pots, one for a kill switch and one for running both neck and bridge together - if anyone has any other wiring suggestions please put them forward...all very new to me (I won't be wiring it myself either by the way) - I have read about parallel and series switching but am I right in thinking this will just give a volume boost in series?

So pickups I am looking at is as follows (all Dimarzio):
Neck - Gravity Storm
Middle - Tone Velvet
Bridge - The Breed

Thanks in advanced!
Chris

Just read this sticky so thought I'd best answer the questions!

Most Important!!!!
1. What type of music do you like? Be specific about bands or particular guitarists. As above
2. What type of equipment are you going to be playing through? A 10 watt "Rouge" amplifier is never going to sound better, no matter what pickups you put in your guitar......sorry - Currently AVT150H and AVT 4x12 cab, blackstart HT-OD pedal and HT-dIST pedal, cry baby wah and ME-50 effects board
3. What are the specifics of your guitar? I find myself having to browse the web all the time to find out the specs of peoples guitars...
A. Is it a trem or hardtail? Trem
B. maple or rosewood board? Rosewood
C. how many frets? 24
D. what controls are on it? 1 No Volume, 1 No. Tone (to be changed both into push/pull pots) and 5way toggle
E. What type of wood is you body made from? Basswood
F. Are your pickups direct mounted, ring mounted or in a pickguard? hmmm not sure...not pickguard - I think direct?!
THESE THINGS DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!

Other important factors
1. Why are you changing your pickups? So many times I see people wanting to change their pickups because they think they HAVE to based on other peoples advice. What is it that YOU don't like about your current pups? What would you like to be different in a set of new ones? As above

2. Are you looking for any particular brand, and if so...Why? Do you have previous experience with that brand, or maybe a bad experience with another brand? Are you going on someone's advice or on your own research?? As above - no experiance, just looking around at reviews

3. Often times people think they need new pups because their guitar is making funny noises, or sounding weak....... sometimes there's nothing wrong with their pups. Sometimes it's other electrical problems like a loose jack, a dirty pot or switch, a loose or broken solder joint...... etc. If you DO have a problem like this.....DESCRIBE IT IN DETAIL. Guitar electronics are actually very easy to fix yourself. Had guitar re-wired and still felt it was weak sounding

Last edited by Chrissmout; 11-20-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 03:49 AM

Re: RG570 Pickup Upgrade

Anything Dimarzio is a great upgrade for V7,V8 and whatnot.

Classic rock you mention is probably best with PAF's, IMO.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 06:18 AM

Dimarzio Super Distortion or Super Distortion 3 for the Bridge.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 06:34 AM

The Breed is not a classic rock sounding pickup.
I have three or four JEMs with them, very hot and aggressive.

Dimarzios I have that sound good for classic rock would be-

PAF Pro very warm with a mid level of output - full body tone
FRED same as the PAF Pro with just a little more mids
EVO2 on the hotter side but still warm
Mo Jo very warm with a mid level of output - thin tone

Get a PAF Pro for the neck pickup!
They are very warm and give off a lot of clicky - chippy pick attack!
It's almost like a FAT strat neck pickup

My all time favorite middle single coil is the Fender Texas Special!
You get THE STRAT SRV TONE all the way!
The middle pickup of the SRV set is reverse wound.

If you do get some other middle single coil, make sure it is reverse wound.
If it isn't, there will be a large volume drop when you run it with a spit humbucker.
Dimarzio sells some of there single coils wound both ways; you need to specify when ordering.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 10:15 AM

With Dimarzio's and basswood Rg's make sure you're not selecting pickups with a huge Bass response (much above average). In the neck positions that will be a recipe for mud. Indeed, the middle pickup needs to be reverse wound.

True velvet can become a bit too bright IMHO at the middle position of the RG when you're matching it with high output humbuckers. You need increase the pickup height too much in order to keep the volume equal at all switch positions.

PAF pro (36th anniversary) Neck I guess.

The you can use True velvet for middle, or a bit warmer; the Red velvet.

Gravity storm / Air Zone (Van Halen+)/ Dominion if you want mids.
Evo 2 / Norton = neutral in between mids with not too high output.
Steve Special if you dislike "midded nasal" sounds.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 05:32 PM

Check out the Seymour Duncan Custom 5 for the bridge, Custom Flat SSL-6 for the middle and '59 for the neck. It'll give you a nice range of tones that are a lot 'earthier' than the stock pickups.

Tags
pickups , rg570 , wiring suggestions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode