RG7620 5 Way Switch - Stock? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 04:09 AM Thread Starter

RG7620 5 Way Switch - Stock?

I bought this used RG7620 and am having some electrical buzzing problems and I looked at the 5 way and it is metal, with a printed circuit board on one side, and had "COR-TEK" stamped into the metal on the other. Is this a stock one? I always thought Ibanez used those white plastic "YM-50" looking ones.

The buzzing happens when my left hand is touching the strings and my right brushes the bridge pickup, the plastic bobbins, the pole pieces, or that cloth wrap on the side, any of those things. It's more of a crackling.

Both pickups do it though my right hand doesn't come near the neck so it isn't a problem. Since both do it (ruling out the bridge pickup causing it and unlikely both would be faulty in the same way) I thought it might be the switch causing it since I already replaced the volume.

Something else that I thought was odd it that the shielding paint in the control cavity wasn't connected to ground like on my other Ibanez guitars. I added that though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 08:46 AM

Re: RG7620 5 Way Switch - Stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossingStar
I bought this used RG7620 and am having some electrical buzzing problems and I looked at the 5 way and it is metal, with a printed circuit board on one side, and had "COR-TEK" stamped into the metal on the other. Is this a stock one? I always thought Ibanez used those white plastic "YM-50" looking ones.
that sounds like a 7620 switch. it's not a YM50, the 7620 switch is a special 5-way that has internal contacts very different from a standard Strat-type 5-way in order to give the different two humbucker coil combinations.

if you need to replace it, a 24 pole switch like the Otax 91 or the one from Stew Mac can be wired to give the same combinations, or a Model P Megaswitch from Stew Mac will give similar but not identical combinations.

Quote:
The buzzing happens when my left hand is touching the strings and my right brushes the bridge pickup, the plastic bobbins, the pole pieces, or that cloth wrap on the side, any of those things. It's more of a crackling.
that's wierd. buzzing problems are often faulty ground connections, so i would check the ground wire going to the trem claw which grounds the strings, the grounding inside the control cavity, and the connection to the ground lug on the output jack.

if you haven't already, the quietest way to ground a guitar is "star" grounding, soldering all the ground wires to one single point, like the back of the volume pot, and then connecting that to the jack. this eliminates even tiny ground loops that can cause noise, but a properly connected stock grounding scheme wouldn't cause a buzz.

Quote:
the shielding paint in the control cavity wasn't connected to ground like on my other Ibanez guitars. I added that though.
often a manufacturer will ground the shielding paint just by having the casing of the volume pot touch it, since the surface of the paint is conductive.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 10:05 AM

Cor-Tek is Korean only. It's from the Cort factory and is available as a private label part from Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Mars, and probably others. It's also the Mighty Mite part. They're the parts company that imports all the Korean parts from Cort, and therefore all the Korean Ibanez parts, too.

The 7620 is Japanese, and therefore would have had some form of Japanese switch in it. I'm not saying it was replaced, but um, yes, I am saying that.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 12:37 PM
Vendor

The JS and AR2000 both use a Cor-Tek 3 way switch
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Yeah it's the weirdest buzzing I've ever encountered, by the fact that it buzzes - it's really an electrical "pop" - when my hands are already on the strings and I touch the PU. Everything connection is correct, like Scott said.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 03:33 PM

Double check all of the earth grounds in the guitar, mainly the bare ground(s) from the pups, that's usually the culprit when I've experienced this kind of thing.

Mic
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicJustMic
Double check all of the earth grounds in the guitar, mainly the bare ground(s) from the pups, that's usually the culprit when I've experienced this kind of thing.

Mic
Those were all wrapped together from both PU's, green & bare from both, into one fat wrap, then soldered to the vol. pot. I thought it looked sketchy so I un-wrapped and resoldered it, no help.

The ground wire to the spring claw is bare, at least in the spring cavity, is that right?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 04:21 PM

As soon as I posted I figured with my luck I'd be wrong. It just didn't make sense, though, that they would ship a toggle switch up from Korea. Where's the savings in that? Oh well, always learning new things about the way they do things, right?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 04:31 PM
Vendor

And I never knew they were Korean switches so it's not like I didn't learn something too
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

OK, I'm Dumb :(

I fixed the buzzing - it was the extra cavity shield ground I added. I was looking at it and I was thinking "what did I change?" . I suppose since the pot is touching the paint already the extra wire created a loop somehow.

and I also solved the volume difference of B2 vs. N2(other thread). I cranked up the pole pieces on the B2 & left N2's flat, and that evened volumes of them out. Geez and I was ready to gut the thing. Killer axe!

Tags
bridge pickup , ibanez guitars , pole switch , sam ash , spring cavity , toggle switch , trem claw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode