RG770 Pick ups - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Question RG770 Pick ups

Hi all
I have just picked up a SG770DX cheap from everyones favourite auction site - lol
It is a bit rough here and there but plays like a dream - it was even in tune after being shipped in bubblewrap and cardboard (no case - obviously!).
There are two anomalies with the guitar - one being the black pickguard (easy enough I think to replace witha a clear one ?!) and the other is the IBZ pickups.
They are the correct coloured DM/IBZ ones (Red)- but they are F2 / C2 /F2 - I was expecting F4 / C2 / F2.
Having said that the F2 in the neck sounds really really sweet and responds well to volume roll off. It has a nice growly sound when cranked too.
However the bridge F2 sounds thin and weak in comparison...?
So .. my questions really are :
Am I missing something by NOT having an F4 in the neck ?
Is the bridge F2 past it's sell by date or is the difference from the nack position that drastic (IMO seems too much tonal loss - but I am new to Ibanez guitars!!)

And finally - what would you do if this was your guitar ?

All thoughts greatfully appreciated.
Cheers
BladeDude

Last edited by BladeDude; 06-01-2005 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Spelling in title !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-01-2005, 08:54 PM

Re: RG770 Pick ups

I've used original IBZUSA pickups in the neck and they're pretty good there. The Maxxas has them in both positions. I find the F2 to be the most like the original IBZUSA's. Besides being F spaced, they seem a little brighter and hotter than the original IBZUSA's. The F4 was described as a PAF Pro with a little more lows. My guess is that if you're happy with the F2 neck sound, don't change it. Just get a bridge pickup that competes with it better, like a Tone Zone, Evolution, or Super Distortion. That way the whole guitar will balance better. For now, check your pickup heights. Perhaps lowering the neck pickup and raising the bridge will get you half way there. You can lower the neck pickup quite a bit, and still get a good sound, because the F2 is pretty high output. The bridge pickup can be almost touching the strings when you fret the 24th fret.

I'm the wrong guy to ask what I'd do if it were mine, because I'm always changing mine. But the Breed or PAF Pro to me are kings in an RG neck position. Then I like the Super Distortion, Breed, Evo, Norton, Fred, heck I like everything in the bridge position! A good mod for the C2 is to run it as a single coil. You can do a search and figure out how to rewire it that way if you don't know.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 07:47 AM

Congrats! It's been my main (only!) axe for 13 years and I don't want any others. The black pickguard IS an anomaly, but the F2 is stock, it's just an older model (like mine, '91 model)

You're right, the F2 in the bridge can be thin and weak in certain settings. I always tried to beef up the sound. I replaced mine with an X2N and haven't looked back.

It's a sweet guitar
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2005, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: RG770 Pick ups

Thanks guys -

For the good advice - I will try those adjustments first frankfalbo and see if I can improve the output / tone and then look at a possible replacement
for the bridge pup .
And that coil tapped C2 sounds great - I will figure that out with a bit of research - Cheers .
Yes - I love the neck position sound, from real sweet to growly at the spin of a volume pot - lurvely.....
And I knopw what you mean about loads of pickups sounding great - It's a hell of a choice to pick just one - he he

AirGuitarHero - It IS a sweet guitar and I am very pleased with it. It is even more genuine than I thought if 2 x F2s are standard - great!!
As far as I can tell from the Brochures It is a '91 - matching sharkstooth & pickups / Edge etc.
I think I will have a look under the black pickguard soon - and if it all looks OK I will track down a clear one...

Thanks for your thoughts
Keep Rockin'
BladeDude
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2005, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeDude
Hi all
I have just picked up a SG770DX cheap from everyones favourite auction site - lol
It is a bit rough here and there but plays like a dream - it was even in tune after being shipped in bubblewrap and cardboard (no case - obviously!).
There are two anomalies with the guitar - one being the black pickguard (easy enough I think to replace witha a clear one ?!) and the other is the IBZ pickups.
They are the correct coloured DM/IBZ ones (Red)- but they are F2 / C2 /F2 - I was expecting F4 / C2 / F2.
Having said that the F2 in the neck sounds really really sweet and responds well to volume roll off. It has a nice growly sound when cranked too.
However the bridge F2 sounds thin and weak in comparison...?
So .. my questions really are :
Am I missing something by NOT having an F4 in the neck ?
Is the bridge F2 past it's sell by date or is the difference from the nack position that drastic (IMO seems too much tonal loss - but I am new to Ibanez guitars!!)

And finally - what would you do if this was your guitar ?

All thoughts greatfully appreciated.
Cheers
BladeDude
I just put a Super Distortion in the bridge of my RG750 (Same pups) and it's a brand new guitar as a result. I agree that the F2 is a great neck pup and in the bridge, it sounds good but is just a bit thin. My second choice would probably be a Breed.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-05-2005, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: RG770 Pick ups

Thanks pinto79
I will have a look / listen to those.......

Thanks for replying

Cheers
BladeDude

Tags
black pickguard , bridge pickup , bridge position , bridge pup , coil tap , ibanez guitars , neck pickup , neck position , neck pup , paf pro , pickup height , super distortion , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode