RG770 pickup issues... - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy RG770 pickup issues...

Hey guys. I'm a long time lurker and a first time poster (LTLFTP) and I have had this dilemma with my RG770DXLB reissue for quite some time, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

I replaced the aforementioned guitar's bridge and neck PU's with a tone zone and evo neck respectively. The tone zone I like plenty, save for perhaps a sort of looseness on the low strings. But the reason I'm posting is because of the chosen neck pickup. It seems to be a tad taller than the TZ, and I don't have much leeway in adjusting the height, such that it is so high that it causes some quite gnar string buzz! Not to mention being quite a bit louder than the bridge PU, that I have set quite low. I was wondering if anyone had a similar problem. I was thinking of just replacing it with the Air Norton, as the RG770 is almost excessively bright and the evo can get mosquito-y (one of my least favorite tone adjectives!), but if there are any other options I would greatly appreciate the input.

Thanks bros.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 03:54 AM

Re: RG770 pickup issues...

first thing first : why did you set up your neck pickup taller than the bridge?
Did you do it on purpose?

most of us set the neck pickup lower than bridge, therefore it's easier to balance the output between bridge and neck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 04:02 AM Thread Starter

I has no choice! The screws are in as deep as they go! The pickups too damn tall. There's not enough room in the cavity!
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2012, 04:34 AM

very strange!
I remember when I still have my RG 270DX installed with Evo neck, it just sit in the cavity nicely.
if that is the case, you have no choice than replace the evo with something else.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2012, 10:22 AM

Reviews: 2

are your pups mounted to the pickguard or directly into the body??

If they're direct mount, you need to send the Evo back to DiMarzio. They make them in two different heights, you obviously got the taller of the two.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

They are direct mounted. Hmmmmm damn thats quite the bitch, seeing as i purchased them from musicians friend quite a while ago. im well at of the return period I think i'll just get an air norton, it'll probably suit the guitar better anyways.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 02:26 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturesnake View Post
They are direct mounted. Hmmmmm damn thats quite the bitch, seeing as i purchased them from musicians friend quite a while ago. im well at of the return period I think i'll just get an air norton, it'll probably suit the guitar better anyways.
Understandable........ You do have the option of taking your guitar to a luthier and having him/her route the recess a little deeper too. I would think you could get this done for $30-$40 if you disassemble the body before hand.

Tags
air norton , evo , neck , rg770 , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode