RG920MQM - Super 3/Evo bridge or Fishman Fluency Moderns??? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

View Poll Results: Which pickup set for an RG920MQM Premium???
DiMarzio Super 3 bridge & Evolution Bridge in the neck, in blue 1 100.00%
Fishman Fluence Modern set, in brushed finish 0 0%
EMG 81 or 89 set, in black metal covers 0 0%
Seymour Duncan Jeff Loomis Blackouts 0 0%
Anything else, your recommendation. NO Bareknuckles please!! 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

RG920MQM - Super 3/Evo bridge or ???

Hey everybody!

I just recently picked up a near mint Premium RG920MQM, a rare one with the maple fingerboard. And while I am considering leaving the stock DiMarzio/IBZ pickups in it, I have been dying to get a maple fingerboard guitar to use a Super 3 bridge & Evolution bridge model in the neck for a long time.

A little history about this DiMarzio combo: years ago, a friend of mine that did the Kamikaze finish on my ESP 7-string, had an Ibanez RG350MDX that he bought these pickups for. After him telling me what he got, I never thought this combo would work. But after wiring them in and testing it out, I was blown away with the results. So since then, I have been on a quest for a guitar I could use this combo in. And I now have it.

So this is my main set for consideration. However, I have been an EMG user for years. But I have been seriously eyeing the new Fishman Fluence Modern set because of how much more versatility I can get out of them (coil split to either inside OR outside coil, High pass frequency filter, 6dB gain drop, as well as the 2 different voicings these pickups have...). My ONLY issue with the Fishman's is that they would either have to be black (like the EMG's, which I don't want...), or the brushed finish. In which I would really like to have the black chrome like the EMG's have to better match the hardware on the guitar... If I go with the DiMarzio's, I would be getting them in blue, to make the guitar pop a little more appearance wise.

All of my other guitars are all EMG/active equipped, and I am dying to try them Fishman's out. But I am also anxious for the Super 3/Evo Bridge combo too because I know what to expect.

So what would you guys recommend??? Any advice or other possible recommendations would be welcomed as well. But as many of us here know, DiMarzio pickups tend to go better with Ibanez guitars 98% of the time than other passive. So let me know what you guys think.

Thanks in advanced!!!

Last edited by greenkamikaze7; 10-16-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Re: RG920MQM - Super 3/Evo bridge or ???

Okay, so I think I wound up coming to a decision... First off, apologies for not following the sticky at the top of the page as a reference/guide to make my initial post more accurate... my bad!!!

But as for my decision of which pickups, I am going to try the new DiMarzio Dave Davidson Imperium 6 set out!!! Per the reply I got from DiMarzio tech:
"The most important difference between the 2 sets you are thinking about is the output level. The Imperiums are much quieter than the Evo/Super 3 set. Quieter pickups allow higher amp gain and more clarity when the guitar volume is rolled down, but whether or not this is an advantage is a matter of individual taste. Although the EQ specs look very similar, the Imperium bridge model has more clarity in the low mids and bass than the Super 3, and the Imerium highs are warmer."

Which makes sense, because I wouldn't want the tonality too bright in a maple topped Basswood body and maple fingerboard'd guitar, right??? Plus with hem being a little lower output, I can dial in a little more gain out of the amp and not have it give me "ring out noise" when I mute the strings when I stop playing... So with this being he case, I am very intrigued to get and try these out.

Will keep you guys posed when I get them and how they sound.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 09:11 PM

Re: RG920MQM - Super 3/Evo bridge or Fishman Fluency Moderns???

Definitely get used to passives if you are going to get more and more into 7 strings eventually. The righteous tones are found there.

We must have very similar tastes. Here is my Kamikaze 7

And I have a particular kink for these, here is one of mine
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Ah, so your the one with the real Kamikaze 7... Nice piece man. In fact, nice bit of a collection you got there too I must say. I don't even want to know what you do for a living to be able to afford these kinds of guitars, in the amounts you buy, in the time frames you score them in. Kinda makes me feel like a piece of sh*t to a degree...

But to get back to the OP. I have had probably more than 80 guitars in the nearly 20 years I have been playing. Lost track of the official count now... I had played a lot of different passive and active pickups in that time, and find myself constantly going back to the EMG's. I have used a few different passive in my 7's over the years, and for passive I liked the D-Activator 7 in RG7's. But the 2 remaining 7's I have now - my Kamikaze and my '67 Flying V 7 - both have actives in them. My Kamikaze has the SD Retribution Neck in the bridge & an EMG SA-7 in the neck. My V has the EMG 707TW & 707TW-R set.

But with the arrival of the RG920MQM, I am going passive with this one. I was dead set on the Super 3/Evo Bridge set, but I think I am going to try the Imperium 6 set first. If I can't get jiggy withnthem, I will exchange them directly with DiMarzio for the Super 3/Evo Bridge set.

I was trying to attach a pic of my Kamikaze here, but it's being dumb. I will try to post it up for ya in the next day or so. It being just after midnight, I need to get some sleep. Have to get up in 4 hours for work.

Thanks man, and will tty again soon!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 12:32 AM

What was it you didn't like about the BKP's? I find myself coming back to those, more and more.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelblack View Post
What was it you didn't like about the BKP's? I find myself coming back to those, more and more.
I have a hard time trying to justify spending more than $275 on a set of pickups that I haven't heard and played myself in-person. Plus, I have read that any special ordered BKP'S are not returnable and non- refundable. The last thing I want is to be stuck with a set of pickups I can't stand and can't get rid of them. So with that being the case, I am all set with BKP.

I am also all set with Seymour Duncan stuff too. Every time I try to contact anyone over there for anything, it's like I would have a better time talking to a brick wall. Nobody could answer tech questions I had about particular active pickups I had. I could never get a confirmation about how I would need a specific Custom Shop 7-string single coil, nor could I get a price... after about 3 months of inquiring and never getting answers of replies, I gave up. So far the ONLY thing I have of SD that I like is the Retribution set of actives.

So for passives, it's DiMarzio. Especially in an Ibanez.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode