S series and not enough room in control cavity maybe? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
Talking S series and not enough room in control cavity maybe?

Hey guys and gals.

I have this new S series guitar I've got in layaway, and I'll be getting out soon that has HSH pickups from the factory, and I really like them, but I was thinking about the extra pups I have laying around, and I have an EMG 81 and an EMG 85. So, I'd only need the SA or S or whatever to put in the mid position and I'd have an all active set for this guitar which I think would be awesome. I'm probably going to hot rod this guitar.. by getting some killer graphics put on it, etc,. I love the S series guitars for their sound and light weight, etc,, and the low pro trem helps too! Here's my problem.
It seems that the control cavity is really small, and that Hoshino or Ibanez used really small Pots, etc,. I'm worrie that I won't have enough room. I know I could take this too a tech and they'd be able to probably fix it, but I have to do most of my own stuff like this and enjoy it anyway, since we don't have a tech where I live within about 75 miles. I'm in the boonies.. LOL..
Has anyone tried this on their own or have any ideas? You see, thered's not enough room I don't think for the pickups wiring, pots and the 9 volt battery, and in this case I wanted to try the 18 volt mod.. Anyway, please let know any ideas.. I realize I could always use passives that were hot, but I love the EMG's because their so damn quiet and at the same time really hot.. With the emg single in the middle, etc, I'd be able to get some good straty tones without the damn 69 cycle hum, etc,..
I typically just plug into a high gain amp and wail away for some killer 80's stuff and blues.. that's my style anyway, but I also do clean stuff from time to time.. LOL..
Thanks. This forum rocks..
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 10:36 AM

Re: S series and not enough room in control cavity maybe?

there is more than enough room in the control cavity to fit all new parts and a 9v or even two 9v s .

I never liked the idea of routing out a guitar for a damn battery so i just stuck velco to the control cavity and battery and it works great.

if you are a fan of emgs, try the 85 in the bridge. I liked it way more than the 81. I would take a seymour duncan dave mustaine live wire set over any emg combo out there just a matter of taste though.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Hey J,
Thanks man, but the older SV470 I had, had a really small control cavity. But, if you say there's enough room, I'll believe it..
I've not tried those, but I love the SD Metal Active 2 I think it is I have in a strat which just has that one hum and one volume knob. It rocks. Very quiet. I'll have to try those Duncans though. I understand the live wires aren't as hot, but have the sound of the SD distortion, but yet all the cool things about actives. That would be killer. I also like the 85 in the bridge. I just happened to have bought this used Jap Jackson and it's cool, and it had the 81 in the bridge. I'm actually going use those pups (Emg's) for the S series, and add the single coil. Then, probably use a Duncan Distortion I have for the Jackson along with a Dimarzio PAF Pro for the neck. Don't know yet.. Thanks though man. Now I have GAS for the Live wires.. LOL
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Oh, J,
The Velcro is a great idea. Thanks man. I'm going to have to adapt that for my Strat with the Duncan Metal active pup.. Thanks man.
Tim
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 11:07 AM

no problem.

I put new parts in my buddies s-470qm . I used the larger cts 500k and we had room for a 5 way rotory switch. we didn't go with it. It would have been very tight but would have fit.

like i said the velco thing is the best option for me. They sell 9v battery clips but you still have to screw the clip down.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 12:43 PM

I concur, plenty of room to do whatever you'd like. And full-sized pots fit just fine. Mini-pots just free up a minuscule amount of free space.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks MicehlIV and everyone. I apprciate it.. Hell, I might just leave the thing alone. That said, I found out that a guitar store about 10 miles from here said they'd install the things for me for 15 bucks. I might take them up on it since he's that cheap..
Tim
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:00 PM

That's REALLY inexpensive! I'd make sure they know what they're doing, LOL.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Hey Michael. He does. I have had him do other stuff before. He won't do frets, or some stuff, but he can do nuts and change pickups, etc,. He's a really good guy that owns a recording studio. It's a small thing in the middle of no where. I was there the other day and he has an original Peavey Wolfgang special that has been there since I know the 90's for sale, and is still there. It's like 800 bucks. I can't believe no one has bought the thing, but the thing is. You can't even see his shop if you don't know about it, it's so far in the boonies..LOL. It's actually in a small town, but he doesn't care if he gets business or not. He's got enough money that he does what he wants, and records and does music for fun.. Must be nice! His studio and music store is behind his house. He actually built a building for the both, and if you dind't know any better you might think they were buildings for a warehouse or something, but when you walk in it's packed with guitars and basses hanging everywhere and amps. He sells at full blown retail and doesn't seem to care if you like those prices or not.. LOL.. I have only had him do stuff like change pickups, and he's cheap on effects, etc,. Not guitars though or amps.. LOL.. He does come across some vintage gear though. I don't know how. He finds killer old Marshalls and Fenders, etc, for his recording studio.. If I ever decide to do a recording, he'll be the one because he does it as a labor of love, and has the money to make sure he has top notch equipment. He does it analog too which I love! :-)
Tim
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

I just noticed after that last post. I'm not in Deluth GA anymore. I'm back in my home state of Indiana. I'm going to have to figure out where to change that.. LOL
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 03:14 PM

Tim, that's a very good friend to have for sure. Except for the MSRP pricing!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 04:37 PM

Reviews: 120

Should be able to fit the EMGs and a battery in the guitar.

If you want an SA I have one for sale in the classifieds.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

LonePhantom. Whats the difference between the S series and the SA May I ask? I'm not really interested right now as I just don't have the extra money to spend. My gal would shoot me man. I've too many hobbies, and this one is too expensive .. LOL.. I'm also buying guns .. and hunt varmints.. etc,.. GAS for that is also expensive.
Tim
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 08:28 PM

Reviews: 120

From memory the SA is a bit more modern sounding. You'd have to double check on the EMG site for descriptions. I'm selling for $35 + post, which shouldn't be much as it'll fit a letter sized parcel.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Hey LonePhantom.
I'm sorry.. I wasn't paying attention. I thought you meant you had a SA Ibanez guitar. Sorry about that.. You have the EMG Pickup in SA. I would be interested sir. Can you tell me if it's the plug in type or the older type? Also, do you mind messaging me privately so we can talk about this? No hurry. I'm interested though sir..
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
From memory the SA is a bit more modern sounding. You'd have to double check on the EMG site for descriptions. I'm selling for $35 + post, which shouldn't be much as it'll fit a letter sized parcel.

Tags
control cavity , emgs , s series

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode