s1 single coil ground wiring help - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

s1 single coil ground wiring help

Hi, Im getting terrible buzz from the s1 in my ibanez, i tried pulling the pickup out and wiring it direct to make sure it wasnt a problem in the wiring, and the buzz remains.

I noticed that there is a red white and ground wire, is the ground wire supposed to be attached to anything (IE the casing) of the pickup?

I dont know if its just the nature of the pickup, but the buzz is louder than when you pick a note.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 01:03 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: s1 single coil ground wiring help

Ground goes to bottom of volume pot like all other grounds.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 03:29 AM Thread Starter

yeah i know that, i mean does it connect to anything on the pickup itself. What i mean is you got the red and white wire, which is the + and -, then you got the bare wire, which is not connected to the pickup. Is it supposed to be soldered to the pickup casing or something?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2012, 04:42 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

You never solder a lead to the pickup itself--it won't do anything.
One lead goes to the switch and the others to the pot.

Wiring diagrams are loaded in the sticky at the top of the pickups and wiring section.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 01:57 AM

Reviews: 2

Red is hot.
white and bare get soldered to the pot together.

The answer is found in the very first link in the very first post of AlaskaBat's MOST USEFUL PAGE!!!!

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showpo...16&postcount=1
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 06:24 AM

Don't forget that single coils are by design quite noisy. They don't buck the hum, like humbuckers
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2012, 07:49 AM

So that's what that means!
J/K
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2012, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

ok. so what im trying to say, there are 3 wires coming from the S1, red, white and a ground wire that is shielding the other two wires, Is this wire supposed to be connected to the pickup at all, or is it just some sort of shielding that needs to be grounded? I looked at a dimarzio pickup i have, and this bare wire is attached to the pickup casing, on the S1 is it supposed to be attached to the pickup casing or is it just for shielding purposes? On my s1 only the red and white wires are attached.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode