S470 humming after pup change - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

S470 humming after pup change

Ello all,
I have had some Ibanez Hot Grinders from an Ibanez S Prestige fitted to my Ibanez S470. Now the guitar hums when I am using a lot of gain. NOTE: This only happens with the bridge pup.
If I take the cover off and put my finger on the jack socket the hum completely disappears, if I touch the back of the tone pot the humming goes too, also there are two wires (red and white) that are taped together, if I squeeze them the humming gets louder.
The shop that did the job has asked me to take it back but I just don't have time at the moment.
I can use a soldering iron so if someone can point me in the right direction I'll have a go.
Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 05:37 PM

Re: S470 humming after pup change

sounds like a grounding problem on the bridge pickup to me, my first thought would be to remove and re-solder the ground wire from the bridge pickup.

but these things can take time, its often an intermittent fault that can be hard to trace,
if the shop will redo it for free it makes sense to take it back.

Tags
humming , s470

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode