Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Safe pickup combo for newly acquired used rg

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  hhc090020 
#1 ·
This has probably been asked a thousand times but I want to replace the pickups in my rg 350 ex which I found for used. The trend seems to be to swap out the bridge for a dimarzio tone zone and air norton for the neck. I have $100 -saved up so I can probably only do the bridge for now. I play mostly metal (prog like blind guardian or symphony x) so I don't need anything super over the top. Just trying to get a good balance of both rhythm and lead techniques down. Will this be a suitable bridge pickup to use or should I aim for something else. My budget is $100 for 1 pickup first and then I can save up and replace the neck later. The stock pickups are not the greatest. Thanks!

#3 ·
That's only slightly more expensive so I could do that. I use a cheap 120w solid state amp with built in effects that I absolutely love for beefy metal tones. It's the crate gt 212 btw. Would that pickup be suitable for that type of amp? Based on the description it sounds like it's for a tube amp.

#5 ·
It's funny how the amp makes most of the difference. When I play through my 10 watt amp I keep thinking how badly I need to swap out the pickups. When I switch to my 120 watt it's not so bad. I probably don't need super high output pickups afterall. Maybe something in the middle that's more versatile.

#9 ·
I've had d-activators in a 7 string RG and I thought they were great. At first they came off as very bright, but they have a very balanced eq compared to other dimarzio that have very tamed highs, so they can come off as shrill initially but that's not the case. they're just more "hi-fi"

They're really tight and would work well for fast heavy music. ok for cleans, think emgs with more dynamics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.