SCN Challenge - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-09-2012, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

SCN Challenge

Hello,
Everybody !
I am not sure if this should be posted in tech forum but here is my problem.
I am replacing pickups on my 7vwh . I am already tried different pups and made my mind. Here is the challenge. I am going to use single size in neck position so what is the best way to do it without replacing pickguard. Can I just split humbacker and replace one half so it will look like original humb??? Thanks in advance .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 12:08 AM

Re: SCN Challenge

do you want the looks or the tone ? if its the tone of a single you are after, you can just use a push/pull pot and split the humbucker for your single coil sounds

and yes tech would have been more appropriate
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

The main and almost the only one goal for this upgrade is tone. Original look of 7vwh is great for me. The thing is that I am going to use Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless ( SCN pick ups) and they came as a singles only . All other my favorite pups like Kinman Woodstock came in single size too .
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-10-2012, 06:16 PM

not going to work than. unless you come up with some glued together contraption. I would find a humbucker with a nice coil split tone.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragsternj View Post
not going to work than. unless you come up with some glued together contraption. I would find a humbucker with a nice coil split tone.
I tried ...I can't really find humb with equal tone to fender top singles
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 08:57 AM

You can get adapter rings to go from a 'bucker to a single coil for guitars with top mounting pickups. I haven't seen them before, but I'm sure if you look around or modify the other type you could get them to mount to a pickguard.

I really like the idea of hiding a single coil in a humbucker shell though!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machino View Post

I really like the idea of hiding a single coil in a humbucker shell though!
Yes this is exactly what I try to do. I think it's best possible way. I tried few top level humbuckers with split to single coil but all of those sound like "split humbackers" not like true singles to my ears.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone know if gluing can affect tone or case hum. I know I probably will be able to put single under humbucker cover but 7vwh doesn't have that cover ...
other question what is reputable place to order custom pickguard which would identical to original 7vwh's?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 01:16 PM

Why don't you buy a custom pickguard? You can keep your original one as a spare or to put back to stock if you want to sell the guitar. In addition placement of the single coils make a difference in sound. Placing the pickup in the sweetspot is important.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomibanez View Post
Why don't you buy a custom pickguard? You can keep your original one as a spare or to put back to stock if you want to sell the guitar. In addition placement of the single coils make a difference in sound. Placing the pickup in the sweetspot is important.
I am considering this option. Anybody can recommend good site for pickguards?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

http://www.amazon.com/Humbucker-Sing.../dp/B0052OUDTW
that what I found so far but the problem is that I want neck pickup be as close to fretboard as possible
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2012, 05:01 PM

Just my 2 cents,
Take the baseplate of an (old,broken,cheapo or what have you) humbucker and see if you can fit the singlecoil on top of it.
next: stick a singlecoil size cover next to it, to make it look like a humbucker.

If you are a little bit handy it shouldnt be to difficult.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death.by.G-string View Post
Just my 2 cents,
Take the baseplate of an (old,broken,cheapo or what have you) humbucker and see if you can fit the singlecoil on top of it.
next: stick a singlecoil size cover next to it, to make it look like a humbucker.

If you are a little bit handy it shouldnt be to difficult.
I am gonna try do it tomorrow. I am only worries that if I will manage to replace one half of the humb with single than it can be affected in some radio interference way.

Tags
jem 7vwh jem v70 fender

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode