scream baby! scream! - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

scream baby! scream!

hey guys,

i have a problem

my new tone zone isnt getting very much out of pinch harmonics,

i am very tempted to go back to my v8 which screams so easily.

is there anyway to get pinch harmonics easier out of the tone zone?

maybe modding it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 07:00 AM

Re: scream baby! scream!

pickup hiegth? pole hiegth? That's what I would try,,,,if that didn't work "OUT THEY GO".

~A
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 07:24 AM Thread Starter

yea, tried that.

what bout eq?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 11:10 AM

Check your tone pot - if it's 250K try 500K and if it's 500K try a 1 Meg pot. They're super cheap and easy to solder in. If you can't find the 1 meg around you, Stew Mac has them here:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...trol_Pots.html

My TZ was pretty screamin' with just the 500K though.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

what bout eq wise?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 11:58 PM

Make sure your pickup is wired IN PHASE and in series(not parallel). By that I just mean, make sure you wired everything properly and that you have the TZ installed in the proper direction.

You could also try different tone pots or just ditch it entirely for more sizzle out of the TZ.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 12:04 AM

Not sure what you mean by EQ wise...The TZ has boosted bass and mids to start with, that's how it gets the big chunky but clear sound. So if you want the harmonics you need to boost your highs. If by "EQ" you mean your amp, crank up the treble and presence, cut the bass and mids a little. If you mean effects pedals or rack, that would help as well, but seems a pricey, last resort option to me. In the end anyway you boost the highs, especially the presence, should make it easier to get harmonics.

Before I'd buy any EQ equipment, I'd check the tone pot, install a 1 meg pot (or disconnect the tone altogether and play it wide open), make sure your strings are fresh, and use stainless steel strings rather than nickel or steel wrapped. The stainless is brighter and should produce more harmonics. You may also want to toy around with various pick materials to see if one works better for you. If all that doesn't work, you may want to consider trying another pickup. Pickups sound very different in different guitars based on woods, bridge, neck scale length length and so on. Good luck...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

i am using an rg 550. hw would i knw if its in phase or nt?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

and also hw would i knw if its parallel. i wired it to the jem 555 diagram,.

Tags
meg pot , neck scale , pinch harmonics , steel strings , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode