Seymour duncan Blackout wiring wuestion - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Seymour duncan Blackout wiring wuestion

ok so i got two blackouts and i want the on a 5 way for my ibanez! soo i drew a diagram but im not sure if it is right. so could any of you guys cant tell me what i did wrong or if it is write?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 11:27 PM

Re: Seymour duncan Blackout wiring wuestion

I assume this is a standard two humbucker Ibanez and you're using the stock 5 way switch that it came with? In that case, you might have problems getting this to work as that switch isn't designed to work with pickups that have only two wires (hot and ground), like your Blackouts or EMGs for example. Even if you had a more "standard" 5 way switch, you'd still wind up with a middle position that does nothing, at best.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

ok. so could i get it to work? is the diagram remotely right? and if so i know the middle will be nothing. and yes it is a standard HH cofig 1 volume 1 tone and a 5 way. it in my case with the blackouts it would go in this order. (bridge, bridge/neck, neck) on switch positions 1,3,5? am i correct?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 10:58 AM

I just wired up the blackout's in my rgt42 last night and had this same issue trying to figure out how to wire them up to the 5 way switch. You wire them up exactly as the supplied diagram but for the white wires that go from the pickups to the switch you need to put the bridge on the farthest left tab then skip a tab and solder the neck to the 3rd tab. The 4th tab is the wire that hooks up to the left volume pot tab. skip the 5then the 6th is the ground that gets soldered onto the top of the vol pot. 7th and 8th aren't used.

I was kinda pissed when I went to insert the pots into the body as they are bigger where the threads are and require you to drill out the hole maybe another 1/8" or so. Slightly chipped my paint off but it gets covered up by the knobs.

Forgot, the switch will then work like this. from left to right. 1 neck, 2 neck, 3 neck and bridge, 4 bridge, 5 bridge.

Last edited by MrMcSick; 01-11-2010 at 11:03 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 11:02 AM

Reviews: 1

uhh, personally i would avoid the 5 way switch all together and get yourself a 3 way selector.

this will make everything less complicated and much easier.

as it is you only have two pickup inputs to the 5 way switch, so only 3 positions will have an output, however, for what YOU want to do, yes this looks roughly correct. - nothing obviously wrong jumping out at me...

i rarely work with internal power supply though so you may want someone to check that.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

HOLLY **** IM PUTTING THEM IN MY RGT42DXFM!!!!!!! what are the chances?! haha lol
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Banned

Awesome title!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man you would think i don't speak or type well English, just sometimes im in a rush! lmao!!!!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponge Monkey View Post

as it is you only have two pickup inputs to the 5 way switch, so only 3 positions will have an output
I just did this as stated like 2 posts above you and all 5 positions function, a 3 way would make it easier but isn't necessary.

You also have to reuse your stock output jack as the one they give you isn't long enough to go through the body. Wires up like this. White wire from middle volume pot tab to the shortest tab on the jack, Black battery wire hooks to the medium height tab on the jack, Black wire from ground on top of tone pot to the tallest jack tab.

Let me know if it all works out for you
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 05:38 PM

I actually found some probs with your diagram. The ground coming off of the 5 way should on mine is just pin 6 from the left or 3 in from the right and it goes to the ground on the top of the vol pot not to the tone pot tab like you had. You then run a wire from the right vol pot tab (that also has the 5 way switch output wire from tab 4 from the left) to the tone pot right tab.

here goes the diagram

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

hey man i appreciate you correcting my wiring but can you make the pic a lil biger??
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 04:53 PM

I put Blackouts in my RGT42DXFM last winter and never had it working totally with my 5 way switch. I don't get why wiring the switches is so complicated and it seems no two switches are alike. I ended up buying a 3-Way Dimarzio switch and it was easy to wire and it's WAY more solid feeling when switching between them. The stock 5 way had a bit of play but this one really clunks into place. If only my bridge didn't suck so bad otherwise I'd have a pretty awesome guitar. Edge Pro II yuck.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsony View Post
I put Blackouts in my RGT42DXFM last winter and never had it working totally with my 5 way switch. I don't get why wiring the switches is so complicated and it seems no two switches are alike. I ended up buying a 3-Way Dimarzio switch and it was easy to wire and it's WAY more solid feeling when switching between them. The stock 5 way had a bit of play but this one really clunks into place. If only my bridge didn't suck so bad otherwise I'd have a pretty awesome guitar. Edge Pro II yuck.
And therein lies the problem, Ibanez's special 5-way switch for HH guitar simply won't work easily with Blackouts, or other 2-wire humbuckers. Not saying it's impossible, or you'll get nothing, but it'll be a struggle and probably not what you expect.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

ya thats was what i was going to do! haha BTW i put and Edge Pro on it out with the II.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 03:48 AM

come on its easy. Exactly the same as any other setup but you put the pickup leads on tab 1 and 3. thats it.

Tags
seymour duncan blackouts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode