Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio - Page 3 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:22 AM

Re: Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio

I like Duncan and DiMarzio I think they both make good pickups. I would use either depending on what I am looking for. If I had a sig pickup I would go with DiMarzio however, simply because mine would be called the DiMarzio 'Creation' pickup. Just to through a bit of rivalry with Steve Vai.

I think that DiMarzio has more options of tone, not more pickups, but more of a tone selection from trebelly to bassy and everything in between. I think this is aparent with their devotion to hum canceling single coil pickups. I wish that DiMarzio was more honest on their soundclips, I mean, of course the pickup sounds amazing on that super quality recording of an amazing player.

On SDs side of things I think they are better at giving a pickup that covers a lot of tones. Like the JB, it does many sounds well. I dislike how they don't have very much selection of a true single coil toned hum cancelling single. Also, I wish they were more direct with their descriptions, they don't really tell you the output in a clear way nor do they tell you the things the DiMarzio tech tips do (my lack of understanding may be the problem however).

Just my 2¥
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 12:42 AM

Im really digging the tone I get with a Seymour Duncan in my Charvel, makes me want to try one in a JEM now.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-13-2008, 08:33 AM

I think individual pickups should be judged on their own merits, not on the brand name printed on them. Another huge factor is the guitar you put 'em in.

Earlier in the thread I said I didn't like the Duncan JB in any of the guitars I had tried it with, but I recently played a Les Paul (through my gear) with one fitted and it sounded great, so, who knows?

Personally, I just play what feels, sounds and looks good to me, no matter what brand is printed on it. Just my 2 cents.

Rock on!
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 09:29 AM

I have had the Alt 8 sh-15 since last august!! yes i know someone at duncan!! It sounds great. i have it in the bridge and a pearly gates in the neck!!! This pickup is very versatile. I dont think there is a type of music it wouldnt sound good for!! it got a perfect array of tone!!
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 11:50 AM

That's like askin' vanilla or chocolate, but for me its Dimarzios all the way. Nothing sounds better to my ears than a Steve Special in the bridge of a basswood bodied axe (and an air norton or cruiser in the neck )
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 06:25 PM

Reviews: 6

Definately Duncan - both my ibanez are fitted with them neck and bridge
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce View Post
Although I am a bit biased towards Dimarzio's myself as I run the Dimarzio forum, I do like the tones I got off the Duncan JB/59 combo that came stock in my ESP MII. If you want to try something similar to the JB without the nasally tone that some people love and some people hate, you can always try the Dimarzio Norton in the bridge.

If you want more crunch you can scour the net to see if you can find a Caparison PH-R bridge pickup. It kinda has that JB tone with the EMG81 crunch going on.
But good luck on finding a PH-R, I've been looking for one for a few months, no luck. I have tried quite a few places too. It's about time to give up maybe I should just go for a duncan.
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstar View Post
duncans are built better and use better components
How so?? I've used both companies and they're all of great quality. I like Dimarzio's in basswood bodies, because they just sound the best in my opinion. Duncans in mahogany or maple/alder sound great as well. Depends on what guitar it is and what wood its made out of from my experiences.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 08:29 PM

I had no complaints about the JB and Jazz pickups in my previous DK2M, and neither do I have complaints about all the DiMarzios I've tested.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-14-2008, 08:50 PM

for me, it's all dependant on the guitar. i have duncans and dimarzios loaded in different ibanez's. most of my mahogany ibanez trem axes get the air norton tone zone combo. most of the mahogany hardtails get duncans, alnico 2 pro, jazz, 59, distortion, jb, or custom. the basswood ones get the super3 for dimarzios, duncans are usually the 59 and distortion so far. in my alder/ash ibanez's, i have the duncan stag mag and custom.as far as single coils go, the can range from the stock s1, c1, c2, c3's, to the virtual vintage blues to duncan ssl-1, ssl-3, or ssl-5. it all depends on the axe.

rich

Tags
air norton , alder body , basswood bodies , basswood body , bridge pickup , charvel model , coil pickup , custom shop , dimarzio norton , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , dimarzio super distortion , duncan distortion , duncan pearly gates , esp mii , fretboard wood , guitar playing , ibanez trem , larry dimarzio , les paul , mahogany body , maple neck , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck position , paf pro , paf pro combo , pro combo , seymour duncan , seymour duncan pearly gates , sounding guitar , steve vai , super distortion , tone zone , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode