Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio

I picked up a RG420 for a winter project, it will need new pickups. I have always use the Super Distortion/PAF Pro combo. I was thinking about trying the SD JB/59 combo. I don't know how this would sound best in the basswood body. I am looking for Warren DeMartini's sound. Warren's guitars had adler bodies, maple neck and fretboard, OFR and JB pickup. The remade Warrens have the custom shop RTM pickup. The RG420 is a basswood body, mapleneck with rosewood, a TRS(swapped to a Schaller). I know the body and fretboard wood will change the tone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 10:38 PM

Re: Seymour Duncan or DiMarzio

I like DiMarzios more for Ibanez, but I like SD more for the Lynch/DeMartini/EVH vibe.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 10:59 PM

I typically lean a little more towards Duncan. If you're happy with the sound of the Dimarzio Super Distortion, I'd say try the Duncan Distortion. It is really an awesome pickup, and works surprisingly well in the neck position as well. 59 and Jazz are great neck pickups as well.

Custom Custom is also an awesome bridge.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 11:11 PM

You cant go wrong with a JB/59 or a JB/Jazz.
I dont think I have found a Duncan yet I didnt like, my luck hasnt been as good with Dimarzio.

Last edited by elcid; 11-20-2007 at 11:20 PM.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
I dont think I have found a Duncan yet I didnt like
I second that. I've been happy with just about every Duncan I've thrown in a guitar.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 02:30 AM

A winter project? Meaning you'll be working on it all winter? I can't reveal anything so don't ask, but if you wait until Winter NAMM (late January) there's a pickup debuting that should be perfect in there. Watch for a "special" humbucker...
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 06:21 AM

i've got an rg1527 with the 7-string jb-59 combo, and it sounds awesome... i actually find it difficult to play other guitars after the tone i get from my baby
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 06:31 AM

i have a JB/59 combo in zebra in my Les Paul Double cut

Not only do they look really cool - they sound fantastic aswell!!!!!

Had a GREAT gig on Sat night - had compliments on my AWESOME voice and my great guitar playing............ great what a few nice comments do for your confidence

Max
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 12:35 PM
rgr

The JBs are the DeMartini sounds although he does have a SD CS signature pup out now. You can pretty much get that by putting an Alnico 2 magnet in the JB.

But, he also used alder body guitars, can't guarantee you'll get the same results in basswood.

Also, Frank works at SD, if you didn't already know, so of course he now has us holding our breath
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-21-2007, 12:37 PM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

After watching the new Vai video I just posted, I will never use anything other than Larry DiMarzio's pickups.

-jemaholic
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 09:27 PM

I have been a Dimarizio fan for over 20 years, but I just installed a Duncan Distortion in the bridge of my RGA321 about a month ago and that thing just blows me away!!! I am absolutely loving the tones I'm getting out that guitar, definitely early Van Halen type sounds. I have to admit, I'm thinking about putting one in my floral JEM now. I also need to decide on a neck pickup for the RGA though, and while I was considering Dimarzio out of habit, I think I'm gonna try another Duncan....just not quite sure which one....but if you want my two cents on what you should do....I'd have to say Seymour Duncan right now.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 09:35 PM

Duncan Distortion is a kick ass pickup. I have one in a Charvel Model 6, and it absolutely rocks.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 10:17 PM

Reviews: 10

I think both pickups manufacturers are great! it just depends on the guitar and the sound you're after.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the info. I guess that I will have to wait for the "special" humbucker to come out sometime next year.
I did order a set of Evolutions, and a JB and 59. I picked up another winter project RG320.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo View Post
A winter project? Meaning you'll be working on it all winter? I can't reveal anything so don't ask, but if you wait until Winter NAMM (late January) there's a pickup debuting that should be perfect in there. Watch for a "special" humbucker...
Namm is over and i can't seem to find the "special" humbucker. Can you let in on this now?

Tags
air norton , alder body , basswood bodies , basswood body , bridge pickup , charvel model , coil pickup , custom shop , dimarzio norton , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf pro , dimarzio super distortion , duncan distortion , duncan pearly gates , esp mii , fretboard wood , guitar playing , ibanez trem , larry dimarzio , les paul , mahogany body , maple neck , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck position , paf pro , paf pro combo , pro combo , seymour duncan , seymour duncan pearly gates , sounding guitar , steve vai , super distortion , tone zone , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode