Seymour Duncan EVH 1978 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Seymour Duncan EVH 1978

Has anyone tried one of these? I am having a guitar built right now and am debating what pickup to put in the bridge.

"There is no "EVH" pickup. There is, however, a custom shop pickup called the 78 Model, which some people abbreviate as "E.V.H.," because it offers evenly-voiced harmonics. The 78 Model pickup is a faithful recreation of the legendary low-output, Alnico 2, P.A.F.-style humbucker that Seymour designed in 1978 for various high-profile artists he was working with at the time. This pickup should not be associated with any specific artist. The traditional 78 Model comes with single conductor braided shield cable and a bottom plate with long mounting legs. However, since it's built-to-order, it can also be ordered in Trembucker spacing with four conductor cable and short legs. Either way, it's available with double-black, white or zebra (black and cream) bobbins. The D.C. Resistance is 8.75k."

Also, don't you like the way Seymour kept from saying, Eddie Van Halen? I guess, he doesn't want to get sued.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 01:40 PM

Re: Seymour Duncan EVH 1978

lol, no doubt. that would make the 2nd pickup they make that people associate with an artist. the jb has been associated with jeff beck for years, but in reality, i think jb just stands for 'jazz/blues'.

anyway, i have not tried one, i am also curious.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Looks like the price on the pickup is $160.00. It's part of their custom line.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michblanch View Post
Has anyone tried one of these? I am having a guitar built right now and am debating what pickup to put in the bridge.

"There is no "EVH" pickup. There is, however, a custom shop pickup called the 78 Model, which some people abbreviate as "E.V.H.," because it offers evenly-voiced harmonics. The 78 Model pickup is a faithful recreation of the legendary low-output, Alnico 2, P.A.F.-style humbucker that Seymour designed in 1978 for various high-profile artists he was working with at the time. This pickup should not be associated with any specific artist. The traditional 78 Model comes with single conductor braided shield cable and a bottom plate with long mounting legs. However, since it's built-to-order, it can also be ordered in Trembucker spacing with four conductor cable and short legs. Either way, it's available with double-black, white or zebra (black and cream) bobbins. The D.C. Resistance is 8.75k."

Also, don't you like the way Seymour kept from saying, Eddie Van Halen? I guess, he doesn't want to get sued.
the closest thing out there to eddies old pickup tone in the new dimarzio 36th anniv paf
the $160 duncan is nice but not worth that kind of cash
BTW,VH never used the 78(EVH) duncan it is the pup that seymour made back in 1978 after eddie was already on tour and the first record was already out
it is duncans interpatation of that eddie tone
as a matter of fact eddie was going to sue duncan for selling these back then

check this out from 1979
a quote from the Eddie Van Halen interview (Guitar Player mag) It read:

"There's another guy too...See, I've rewound my own pickups before, and a guy named Seymour Duncan, I got pissed at him too. He called me up and said, "Can we use your name for a special pickup?" And I said no. Next time I pick up Guitar Player magazine, there's a special Van Halen model customized Duncan pickup. I called him up and said, "What the hell's goin' on?" So he stopped finally. It's just kind of weird you know. "
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 12:38 PM

You are leaving out the part where the '78 is the pickup that Seymour rewound for Eddie.

Nonetheless, the '78 is an awesome pickup (I have two), but hardly needed to get close to Eddie's sound. The Seymour Duncan "Custom Custom" or better yet a '59/Custom hybrid will nail the brown sound. (if that is what you are looking for)

Good read here

http://www.legendarytones.com/evh%20pickup.html

Or stop by the Seymour Duncan forums and do a search. Plenty of threads about it.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
You are leaving out the part where the '78 is the pickup that Seymour rewound for Eddie.

Nonetheless, the '78 is an awesome pickup (I have two), but hardly needed to get close to Eddie's sound. The Seymour Duncan "Custom Custom" or better yet a '59/Custom hybrid will nail the brown sound. (if that is what you are looking for)

Good read here

http://www.legendarytones.com/evh%20pickup.html

Or stop by the Seymour Duncan forums and do a search. Plenty of threads about it.
not to disagree with you but ED never had duncan do any rewinds till the 80's when he hooked up with kramer
ED was real pissed at seymour from late78 till then
like i said in my other post the 78 or formally called EVH was duncans own interpatation of the EDDIE tone back in 78-79
ED had nothing to do with the design of that pup nor did he use one

Last edited by SAVAGEDISTORTION; 06-12-2008 at 06:04 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVAGEDISTORTION View Post
not to disagree with you but ED never had duncan do any rewinds till the 80's when he hooked up with kramer
ED was real pissed at seymour from late78 till then
like i said in my other post the 78 or formally called EVH was duncans own interpatation of the EDDIE tone back in 78-79
ED had nothing to do with the design of that pup nor did he use one
Sorry dude, but I will take Seymour's word over Eddie's any day when it comes to gear.

Last edited by Ayrton; 06-13-2008 at 01:25 AM.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 11:44 PM

You don't really need to spend all that $$ for the Duncan Custom shop E.V.H pickup for the EVH tone. Like Ayrton said you can get it with the Duncan Custom Custom or the 59/custom(which is much closer) as well as with the Dimarzio Virtual Hot Paf and the new Dimarzio 36th anniversary models. I just got a set of the Paf 36th's myself and did a review of them over at the dimarzio forum and I'm pretty convinced that they could get you that EVH Brown Sound tone.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Sorry dude, but I will take Seymour's word over Eddie's any day when it comes to gear.
alright i will ask, when did seymour himself say that he wound it for eddie?
can you post me a link please?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 03:30 PM

LOOKS LIKE seymour never said anything about winding that pup for ED?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 10:50 PM

I can wind you the Frankie or Destroyer pickup for $100.

Take that Seymour Duncan!
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVAGEDISTORTION View Post
LOOKS LIKE seymour never said anything about winding that pup for ED?
Don't be like that, you know as well as I that there are mutiple threads about this on the Duncan forums.

You can search as well as I.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 12:17 AM

The trouble with Ed is that he makes a lot of stuff up! (that's not to say Seymour Duncan doesn't ) I think partly so people don't copy his ideas and partly to improve his mythological status!
I remember an interview where EVH stated he used no effects on the first album! What not even the MXR phase 90 they have now produced a licenced version of?

Jim
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastachild View Post
lol, no doubt. that would make the 2nd pickup they make that people associate with an artist. the jb has been associated with jeff beck for years, but in reality, i think jb just stands for 'jazz/blues'.

anyway, i have not tried one, i am also curious.
JB is actually and originally a Jeff Beck model. Seymour had to make up the name "Jazzy Blues" to avoid a lawsuit.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Don't be like that, you know as well as I that there are mutiple threads about this on the Duncan forums.

You can search as well as I.
i was not being sarcastic(if it apperaed that way?)
i just have never heard anything about seymour actually saying he wound anything for EDDIE till he hooked up with kramer?

Tags
custom shop , eddie van halen , jeff beck , mxr phase , van halen , virtual hot paf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in