Seymour Duncan EVH 1978 - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
 
michblanch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Houston Tx.
Posts: 1,195
Seymour Duncan EVH 1978

Has anyone tried one of these? I am having a guitar built right now and am debating what pickup to put in the bridge.

"There is no "EVH" pickup. There is, however, a custom shop pickup called the 78 Model, which some people abbreviate as "E.V.H.," because it offers evenly-voiced harmonics. The 78 Model pickup is a faithful recreation of the legendary low-output, Alnico 2, P.A.F.-style humbucker that Seymour designed in 1978 for various high-profile artists he was working with at the time. This pickup should not be associated with any specific artist. The traditional 78 Model comes with single conductor braided shield cable and a bottom plate with long mounting legs. However, since it's built-to-order, it can also be ordered in Trembucker spacing with four conductor cable and short legs. Either way, it's available with double-black, white or zebra (black and cream) bobbins. The D.C. Resistance is 8.75k."


Also, don't you like the way Seymour kept from saying, Eddie Van Halen? I guess, he doesn't want to get sued.
michblanch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 01:40 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: dallas
Posts: 754
Re: Seymour Duncan EVH 1978

lol, no doubt. that would make the 2nd pickup they make that people associate with an artist. the jb has been associated with jeff beck for years, but in reality, i think jb just stands for 'jazz/blues'.

anyway, i have not tried one, i am also curious.
rastachild is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
 
michblanch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Houston Tx.
Posts: 1,195
Re: Seymour Duncan EVH 1978

Looks like the price on the pickup is $160.00. It's part of their custom line.
michblanch is offline  
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 12:04 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 72
Re: Seymour Duncan EVH 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by michblanch View Post
Has anyone tried one of these? I am having a guitar built right now and am debating what pickup to put in the bridge.

"There is no "EVH" pickup. There is, however, a custom shop pickup called the 78 Model, which some people abbreviate as "E.V.H.," because it offers evenly-voiced harmonics. The 78 Model pickup is a faithful recreation of the legendary low-output, Alnico 2, P.A.F.-style humbucker that Seymour designed in 1978 for various high-profile artists he was working with at the time. This pickup should not be associated with any specific artist. The traditional 78 Model comes with single conductor braided shield cable and a bottom plate with long mounting legs. However, since it's built-to-order, it can also be ordered in Trembucker spacing with four conductor cable and short legs. Either way, it's available with double-black, white or zebra (black and cream) bobbins. The D.C. Resistance is 8.75k."


Also, don't you like the way Seymour kept from saying, Eddie Van Halen? I guess, he doesn't want to get sued.
the closest thing out there to eddies old pickup tone in the new dimarzio 36th anniv paf
the $160 duncan is nice but not worth that kind of cash
BTW,VH never used the 78(EVH) duncan it is the pup that seymour made back in 1978 after eddie was already on tour and the first record was already out
it is duncans interpatation of that eddie tone
as a matter of fact eddie was going to sue duncan for selling these back then

check this out from 1979
a quote from the Eddie Van Halen interview (Guitar Player mag) It read:

"There's another guy too...See, I've rewound my own pickups before, and a guy named Seymour Duncan, I got pissed at him too. He called me up and said, "Can we use your name for a special pickup?" And I said no. Next time I pick up Guitar Player magazine, there's a special Van Halen model customized Duncan pickup. I called him up and said, "What the hell's goin' on?" So he stopped finally. It's just kind of weird you know. "
SAVAGEDISTORTION is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Moderator
 
Ayrton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 4,208
Re: Seymour Duncan EVH 1978

You are leaving out the part where the '78 is the pickup that Seymour rewound for Eddie.

Nonetheless, the '78 is an awesome pickup (I have two), but hardly needed to get close to Eddie's sound. The Seymour Duncan "Custom Custom" or better yet a '59/Custom hybrid will nail the brown sound. (if that is what you are looking for)

Good read here

http://www.legendarytones.com/evh%20pickup.html

Or stop by the Seymour Duncan forums and do a search. Plenty of threads about it.
Ayrton is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 05:59 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 72
Re: Seymour Duncan EVH 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
You are leaving out the part where the '78 is the pickup that Seymour rewound for Eddie.

Nonetheless, the '78 is an awesome pickup (I have two), but hardly needed to get close to Eddie's sound. The Seymour Duncan "Custom Custom" or better yet a '59/Custom hybrid will nail the brown sound. (if that is what you are looking for)

Good read here

http://www.legendarytones.com/evh%20pickup.html

Or stop by the Seymour Duncan forums and do a search. Plenty of threads about it.
not to disagree with you but ED never had duncan do any rewinds till the 80's when he hooked up with kramer
ED was real pissed at seymour from late78 till then
like i said in my other post the 78 or formally called EVH was duncans own interpatation of the EDDIE tone back in 78-79
ED had nothing to do with the design of that pup nor did he use one

Last edited by SAVAGEDISTORTION; 06-12-2008 at 06:04 PM.
SAVAGEDISTORTION is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Moderator
 
Ayrton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 4,208
Re: Seymour Duncan EVH 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVAGEDISTORTION View Post
not to disagree with you but ED never had duncan do any rewinds till the 80's when he hooked up with kramer
ED was real pissed at seymour from late78 till then
like i said in my other post the 78 or formally called EVH was duncans own interpatation of the EDDIE tone back in 78-79
ED had nothing to do with the design of that pup nor did he use one
Sorry dude, but I will take Seymour's word over Eddie's any day when it comes to gear.

Last edited by Ayrton; 06-13-2008 at 01:25 AM.
Ayrton is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 11:44 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,923
Re: Seymour Duncan EVH 1978

You don't really need to spend all that $$ for the Duncan Custom shop E.V.H pickup for the EVH tone. Like Ayrton said you can get it with the Duncan Custom Custom or the 59/custom(which is much closer) as well as with the Dimarzio Virtual Hot Paf and the new Dimarzio 36th anniversary models. I just got a set of the Paf 36th's myself and did a review of them over at the dimarzio forum and I'm pretty convinced that they could get you that EVH Brown Sound tone.
buddroyce is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 08:06 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 72
Re: Seymour Duncan EVH 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Sorry dude, but I will take Seymour's word over Eddie's any day when it comes to gear.
alright i will ask, when did seymour himself say that he wound it for eddie?
can you post me a link please?
SAVAGEDISTORTION is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 03:30 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 72
Re: Seymour Duncan EVH 1978

LOOKS LIKE seymour never said anything about winding that pup for ED?
SAVAGEDISTORTION is offline  
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 10:50 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Blacklick, Ohio
Posts: 859
Re: Seymour Duncan EVH 1978

I can wind you the Frankie or Destroyer pickup for $100.

Take that Seymour Duncan!
Salamander In The Sun is offline  
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Moderator
 
Ayrton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 4,208
Re: Seymour Duncan EVH 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVAGEDISTORTION View Post
LOOKS LIKE seymour never said anything about winding that pup for ED?
Don't be like that, you know as well as I that there are mutiple threads about this on the Duncan forums.

You can search as well as I.
Ayrton is offline  
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 12:17 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: South West UK
Posts: 953
Re: Seymour Duncan EVH 1978

The trouble with Ed is that he makes a lot of stuff up! (that's not to say Seymour Duncan doesn't ) I think partly so people don't copy his ideas and partly to improve his mythological status!
I remember an interview where EVH stated he used no effects on the first album! What not even the MXR phase 90 they have now produced a licenced version of?

Jim
Vim Fuego is offline  
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 01:01 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Not here
Posts: 62
Re: Seymour Duncan EVH 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastachild View Post
lol, no doubt. that would make the 2nd pickup they make that people associate with an artist. the jb has been associated with jeff beck for years, but in reality, i think jb just stands for 'jazz/blues'.

anyway, i have not tried one, i am also curious.
JB is actually and originally a Jeff Beck model. Seymour had to make up the name "Jazzy Blues" to avoid a lawsuit.
mozfan98 is offline  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 09:34 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 72
Re: Seymour Duncan EVH 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton View Post
Don't be like that, you know as well as I that there are mutiple threads about this on the Duncan forums.

You can search as well as I.
i was not being sarcastic(if it apperaed that way?)
i just have never heard anything about seymour actually saying he wound anything for EDDIE till he hooked up with kramer?
SAVAGEDISTORTION is offline  
Reply

Tags
custom shop , eddie van halen , jeff beck , mxr phase , van halen , virtual hot paf

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in














Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wiring problems with Seymour Duncan in a JEM Christoph_JEM Pickups & wiring 6 04-14-2011 04:45 PM
Seymour Duncan TB5/GFS 59 FS/FT!!! Shreddy Krueger Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 1 02-03-2008 04:51 AM
eMG 81/60 and Duncan Distortion (Seymour Duncan SH-6) Fornicatron Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 2 10-10-2006 10:09 AM
Seymour Duncan Pickups/Steinberger & Kramer Guitars Robotechnology Classified Ads: Guitars and Gear 3 07-18-2006 09:50 PM
seymour duncan pickup advice big h Pickups & wiring 7 01-17-2004 03:38 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome