seymour duncan pickup advice - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

seymour duncan pickup advice

I have a frank gambale sig model and changed the bridge humbucker to a seymour duncan jb. I really like the tone of this pup in my esp horizon and because both guitars are mahogany with quilt tops I thought the jb would sound as good in the gambale sig. But it didn't, it sounded too harsh. Do you have any good suggestions of a bridge pup made by seymour duncan with similiar output as the jb but not as harsh sounding with more warmth. The reason I specify seymour duncan is that many of my other guitars have dimarzio's and emg's and I just want to try something different. Thanks. Stephen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 10:39 AM

pretty hard to find a not-trebly sounding Seymour pickup (except for the Invader, which is pretty warm). pumped trebles are a Duncan trademark, that's why i prefer DiMarzios.

step back to your DiMarzio, or even get a Super Distortion or a Tone Zone.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 11:33 AM

Actually the Custom series tames the highs a bit. I would maybe try the Custom Custom which is pretty dark, or the newer Custom 5. They might do the trick. As for the sound difference, I haven't seen one of the FG flame tops but I would imagine it's a veneer like all the other "S" series with flame tops. The body is so thin already that you'd be practically dividing it in half to do a real maple top. So the sound is more mahogany, but mahogany is not bright. The thin "S" body is thinner and more squeaky sounding to me, though. I have a few "S" guitars and I think if it was made out of anything other than mahogany it would sound like a tin can. There are tolerances between same model pickups, but you are likely experiencing the guitar differences.

If you don't mind the look of the original Trembucker it's really an underrated, "sleeper" of a pickup. I would be great in an "S" body.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Frank which pickups do you have in your s shaped guitars, and what is wrong with the look of the original trembucker does it not look llike a jb?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 08:40 PM

I have a Gibson 500T in one, and it's great. I have another that's the old stock IBZUSA, (not an "F2") Those are pretty smooth with a little midrange scream. I just keep that one because the whole guitar is stock. Another has a PAF Pro in the bridge literally because it was all I had left over for awhile. I don't know what will end up in there. It's bright enough that if I decide to go total "ice pick" with that guitar I'll leave it in.

I had a Custom Custom before that 500T and it was too dark. Not because I didn't want dark, (I did) but the muted highs of that pickup made my S sound totally flat and lifeless. But the cc is perfect in my alder Radius with a maple board. It was warm but it breathed. I have to wire it back in there this weekend.

I should have said "Parallel Axis" Trembucker. I didn't mean a trembucker version of some other pickup. So they are the ones with the little block magnets, two for each string.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for replying I'll look into your suggestions, cheers bro.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 12:43 PM

i run a Custom 7 in my 540S7. it is somewhat bright, brighter than the TZ7 in my 2027, but not overly bright, not as bright as the JB i run in basswood 7620s. you can hear the tone of that guitar, through a Peavey Rock Master tube preamp and Boogie 50/50, on the mp3 track "out there" on my band _actual time_'s website, http://www.his.com/sha3u/time/ .

in Duncan's 6 string pickup range, there are many variations of the Custom model, like the Custom Custom and Custom 5 mentioned above. you should give one of them a try.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Instead of going down the seymour route which is what I want to try, do you think an emg 85 could warm it up a bit? My kopout is a dimarzio super distortion or a super3 but I have many guitars with dimarzio's so that's the last resort.

Tags
bridge hum , bridge humbucker , bridge pup , dimarzio super distortion , frank gambale , paf pro , seymour duncan , string pickup , super distortion , tone zone , tube preamp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode