Shielding with paint or copper foil? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Shielding with paint or copper foil?

How do you guys prefer to shield your guitars, with conductive paint or copper foil tape? I'm asking cause I plan on buying some guitar bodies, necks, and hardware and doing all the electrical work myself. I'm leaning towards the foil at the moment because all you need is the copper tape, some scissors, and some solder, plus I hate painting .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-24-2003, 02:39 PM
EKG

I've been using the spray shielding (paint type). Seems to be working fine for me ;-)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 06:28 AM

Has anyone tried Aluminium tape??? I asked for copper at an electrical shop and they said aluminum is better. But I'm still unsure if I should use it.

Freak
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Aluminium? I've heard that aluminium isn't very conductive, but I don't know.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 12:26 PM

I found that replacing most of the internal wire (everything beyond the pickup wire) with shielded wiring can greatly enhance the effectiveness of any other shielding. On my Dean, the cavity itself is painted with shielding paint, and has aluminum tape on the cavity cover. But it has two long runs of wire up to the pickup selector switch on the upper bout (like a Les Paul). Those two long wires essentially acted like a giant antenna, pretty much negating whatever other shielding the guitar had. (The channels from the main cavity up to the switch were unshielded.)

Replacing the wiring with shielded wire made the guitar pretty much silent, and i don't pick up phantom radio stations any more.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 04:43 PM

for shielding, copper foil works well for flat surfaces, like the back of a plastic control cavity plate, and shielding paint works well for odd surfaces and crevices, like pickup cavities. since you're buying new bodies and working from scratch, i'd go with the paint.

aluminum is still plenty conductive compared to copper, as is most any solid metal or alloy. you could use aluminum foil if you wanted, but the reason that is not usually done is that aluminum takes a ton of heat to solder, virtually impossible using a normal soldering iron.

you don't have to solder the shielding, but in order for it to work you must make sure that it all connects to each other [i.e. the foil on the back of the cavity plate must connect to the foil or paint in the cavity], and it all must be connected to gound. usually, the volume and/or tone pots make contact with the shielding and that takes care of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren wilson
I found that replacing most of the internal wire (everything beyond the pickup wire) with shielded wiring can greatly enhance the effectiveness of any other shielding. On my Dean, the cavity itself is painted with shielding paint, and has aluminum tape on the cavity cover. But it has two long runs of wire up to the pickup selector switch on the upper bout (like a Les Paul).
most guitars have the runs from volume pot to jack and maybe switch to volume pot made with shielded wire, but in a LP type wiring situation like in the Deans, using shielded wire for those long runs is a must. the stock wire in my Dean was shielded, but i rewired it to LP style switching with two volume knobs and had to run more shielded wire for those connections.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 03:22 PM

I had heard from someone that the paint is roughly 25% as effective as any of the other solid metals. I have nothing to base this on and it could be a waste of a post, but I did hear it once, so it bears repeating. This is sort of a "tabloid" post I guess - one source, not verified
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 10:11 AM

This website was very helpful for me. I used heavy duty aluminum foil in my guitars and I haven't had any problems since. (Take the link under "Quieting the Beast")
http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/menu.html
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachle7
This website was very helpful for me. (Take the link under "Quieting the Beast")
http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/menu.html
that guy's pages do have some helpful info, but he's a bit of a control freak in requiring that your web browser save a cookie from his site every 30 days, and the almost maniacal zeal with which he presents his "myths" and other things. use at your own risk.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2003, 06:56 PM

yup

You're right, he's a little overzealous, however, you can't argue with his shielding techniques and wiring diagrams.

Tags
cavity cover , darren wilson , les paul , pickup cavities , pickup selector switch , volume knobs , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode