Single coil pickup nightmare - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Single coil pickup nightmare

I would love some advice im looking for a great middle position metal single coil for my rg 550. I got it as a shell pretty much and am doing it up but as always I'm stumped by my single coil. I want to use it for high out put playing im probably going to load some Seymour duncan black winter or dimarzio x2n humbuckers into it. So I want a high output coil that won't get lost in the mix,or not used at all as with my other HSH pgm300 which is way 2 quiet and sounds a bit crap so I just use the paf's (can't remember that last time I moved the pickup up selector from bridge position). Possibly a lot of treble could be an idea to flick to for solos.I was even considering bothering Seymour Duncan custom and see if they could build me a single coil sized humbucker to compliment their black winter humbuckers. Any and all advice very much welcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 06:40 AM

Re: Single coil pickup nightmare

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/mai...kup=the_sinner
Assuming you want a genuine single coil.

Last edited by Algiman; 11-14-2015 at 01:19 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear1 View Post
I was even considering bothering Seymour Duncan custom and see if they could build me a single coil sized humbucker to compliment their black winter humbuckers. Any and all advice very much welcome
I did it some weeks ago... I asked them to build a single pickup that fits the sound of SD Black Winter set, mostly in split positions.

If you can wait until christmas, I will tell you how it sounds
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 04:40 PM

If you aren't looking for a true single coil, the DiMarzio Chopper might be a good choice to compliment really distortion class buckers. You can always split the coils too as it's a 4-wire config. The BKP looks pretty interesting too though, by description it sounds fun, but probably requires shielding galore.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Wern keep me posted plz! Some sound recordings would be awesome 2.
Also looking at super distortion s and hot rails as options. So more looking for a single coil sized humbucker!
I would imagine that rules out the sinner.
Heard of the chopper don't know a lot about it tho. Maiek when you say the bkp needs shielding what dya mean by that?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 09:48 AM

Being a true single coil it will be prone to hum, hence the need to ensure the guitar has good shielding. In a 550 that's easy enough.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Yeh I see what u guys are getting at. Well it won't be a concern. Im definitely wanting to get a hum cancelling single coil humbucker more than likely a bridge designed one for a strat and put that in the 550. There's a few really good ones out there but very few videos of people playing metal with them. I can't find anything on the dimarzio fast track 2 at all!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Anyways got a bit of a short list
If you have one I'd love to hear about it and if it would fit what I want
Dimarzio super distortion s
Dimarzio fast track 2
Seymour Duncan hotrails
Or custom Duncan pending results from Wern
I'm actually leaning towards the custom job that way I can get a single coil that will hopefully fit my needs exactly
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 12:22 PM

Reviews: 2

FWIW, I'm using a Tone Zone S in the middle of my 770. I can solo with it without getting lost so you should have NO problem with the SD-s
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
FWIW, I'm using a Tone Zone S in the middle of my 770. I can solo with it without getting lost so you should have NO problem with the SD-s
tone zone, air norton, satch track, super distortion s, BC-1. There are a few higher output pickups that will get you less volume drop between the high output pickups you already have. You can always wire the middle for parallel to take the volume down and brighten it up all while still being hum cancelling.

Last edited by j.arledge; 11-16-2015 at 05:37 PM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Again great suggestions!
How do you wire the middle for series? Never heard of this.
As a mainly rock/ metal player I'm not sure I want to reduce volume and brighten everything up :s
RGT if the tone zone s can stand up next to humbuckers then as you say the higher still output pickups should also.
I always find pickups very difficult as you can guess and watch videos etc but until its in your guitar playing through your rig you just don't know if its right for you and if it isn't it can be quite expensive mistake!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Further to add to this thread I have a similar problem with my pgm300. The paf pros sound great but as soon as I switch to the fs-1 the sound just falls away and sounds very flat. I don't know if this is because Gilbert dropped the volume in the 2nd and 4th positions for his glassy sounds? But I've just screwed the coil right in and only use 1st and 5th position currently. Maybe a bare knuckle bridge position sinner single coil pickup mentioned in an earlier post might add some boost whilst allowing me to put the original pickup cover over it so as to still look like a stock guitar.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 10:02 AM

I use a Dimarzio fast track 2, with a coil tap switch. I get a true single coil type tone with the switch engaged, and without it sounds much like a P90. It also has a really high output and matches well with my humbucker, which is also a high-output pickup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode