So many questions and so little experience (Dimarzios) - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
So many questions and so little experience (Dimarzios)

So, having recently acquired a wonderful Premium 7 string, I've been finding myself generally liking the pickups in it. They're of the Dimarzio IBZ variety. Hardly prestigious stuff, I know. But, I like the tone they're making. They're making my RG1451 sound a bit gutless in comparison. It still has the stock V6F pickups in it. I haven't really found them lacking, but these Dimarzios are making me feel like it can do better.

So, I was wondering what kind of pickups I could stick in the RG1451 that could give me more of the same qualities as the Dimarzio IBZ pickups. What I like about them (this is all relative, mind):

- Bridge has more of a mid-range snarl to it... adds a bit of picking clarity.
- Neck is pretty similar, but...
- Both are a bit higher output overall.

Tones I like:

- For lead tones, think John Petrucci, Per Nilsson (Scar Symmetry), Mats Haugen (Circus Maximus), or even Mikael Akerfeldt.
- For rhythm tones, think... well, the same lot as above, throw in Epica as well.

I'm playing through Guitar Rig 4, effectively using the "Rammfire" dual rectifier, a vintage 30 equipped 4x12 cabinet, with a tube screamer in front of it all.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Re: So many questions and so little experience (Dimarzios)

Bump. No replies. Does it help if I put everything into the format in the sticky? Well, here you is:

1. What type of music do you like? Be specific about bands or particular guitarists.

I'm playing sort of progressive electronicy metal. Bands with tones I like would include Dream Theater (lead and rhythm), Circus Maximus (lead and rhythm), Opeth (lead and rhythm), Epica (rhythm especially), Scar Symmetry (lead especially).

2. What type of equipment are you going to be playing through?

Guitar Rig 4. Specific models are a "Rammfire" dual rectifier with a tube screamer in front of it going into a cabinet with vintage 30s.

3. What are the specifics of your guitar?
A. Is it a trem or hardtail? Hardtail (Tight End)
B. maple or rosewood board? Rosewood
C. how many frets? 24
D. what controls are on it? Volume, tone, 5 way pickup switch.
E. What type of wood is you body made from? Basswood
F. Are your pickups direct mounted, ring mounted or in a pickguard? Pickguard

Other important factors
1. Why are you changing your pickups?

As previously described, I found I liked the sound of the Dimarzio IBZ pickups in my new RG927qm more than the stock V6F pickups in my RG1451.

2. Are you looking for any particular brand, and if so...Why?

Dimarzio. I already have a guitar with EMGs and don't need another. I also don't really care for the usual Duncan JB/59 combination, based on guitars I've tried that had them.

3. Often times people think they need new pups because their guitar is making funny noises, or sounding weak....... sometimes there's nothing wrong with their pups.

There's nothing "wrong" with the current pickups. But, they don't have quite the same tonal qualities as the Dimarzio IBZ ones. Lower output, less midrange in the bridge.

So... anything?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 PM

Try the Crunchlab or Evo2.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 11:29 PM

Reviews: 6

Crunch Lab(Bridge), Fast Track (M), Liquid Fire (N)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Sounds good. I was sort of gravitating towards the Crunch Lab and Liquifire.

I was thinking of just leaving the stock single coil in the middle, as I have nothing against the tones it produces, and I'll usually turn to my strat if I really want a great distorted single coil tone anyway. Would leaving the stock single coil in cause any problems?

And, to install these, would it just be a matter of old ones out, new ones in, using the same wires? Am I, as someone who has never done this before, far too incompetent to pull it off? I know how to solder, but that's about it.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

So, bump with a new question:

I've settled on the Crunch Lab and Liquifire pickups for now. They arrived, but for whatever, reason, the Liquifire box came with another Crunch Lab in it, so I had to send it back. So, I have a bit more time until my actual Liquifire arrives.

Anyway, I'm trying to make sense of the wiring. Thanks to the wonderful sticky in this subforum, I've found appropriate wiring diagrams. And, the instructions that came with the Crunch Lab were helpful as well.

That said, having never done this, I still have a few questions and points I'd like to clarify:

1) The instructions say to solder the black and white wires together and tape it off. Does this combination then connect to the "white" part on the pickup switch? Just trying to clarify that I'm not totally misinterpreting that.

2) The instructions also say to solder both the bare and the green wire to the back of the volume pot. The stock pickups, as far as I can tell, only has the bare wire... do I just lump the green and bare together and solder it to the ground, or do I have to separate them somehow?

3) How neatly do I have to do this? Currently, the bare wires for the neck and bridge are neatly coiled around each other a few times at the point where they're soldered to the back of the volume pot. While I'll try my best to duplicate that precision work, I'm sure anything I manage won't look as neat and tidy. Will this matter? I'm assuming that, since it's acting as the ground, and the entire back of the pot is metal anyway, I could just drench the thing in solder and haphazardly cram every bare/green wire into a giant, solder encased mess and it would serve the same purpose... but maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks in advance!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 12:51 AM

Reviews: 120

1) Yes, solder the black and white together and put solder it to the pickup selector where the white wire is currently.

2) Yes, solder the green and bare to the back of the volume pot. They can be together.

3) Just solder the end of the exposed wire to the pot. You'll know if there are problems with your solder joint if there is excessive noise. Try to solder so the wire is touching the back of the pot, not just lying in a pool of solder. It'll be a better connection this way. The pots can be hard to solder to. Rough it up a little with some sand paper if need be and heat it for a little while. Should be ok.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2012, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
1) Yes, solder the black and white together and put solder it to the pickup selector where the white wire is currently.

2) Yes, solder the green and bare to the back of the volume pot. They can be together.

3) Just solder the end of the exposed wire to the pot. You'll know if there are problems with your solder joint if there is excessive noise. Try to solder so the wire is touching the back of the pot, not just lying in a pool of solder. It'll be a better connection this way. The pots can be hard to solder to. Rough it up a little with some sand paper if need be and heat it for a little while. Should be ok.
Very comprehensive! Thanks!

Now, given some time and probably a decent amount of swearing at tiny wires, I'll post my impressions of these pickups here.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2012, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

So, after several hours of messing around, I managed to get them put in. I'm going to invest in some real wire strippers. That alone would've shaved a good hour or so off the process.

Verdict:

This may sound a bit hyperbolic, but these pickups have instantly fixed everything that has been bugging me about my tone. The increase in clarity is insane. Even really big chords never sound muddy or anything. I can actually hear every string, much like the EMGs in my ESP. The low end is much tighter in general. The highs are more prominent, but still manage to remain smooth. And the attack is generally more audible, which will make rhythm work sound much better. And, really, they just sound "big". I'm curious to see if I can get away with dual tracking instead of quad tracking now...

I like them so much that I immediately ordered another pair for my RG927qm. I thought the Dimarzio IBZs were good in that thing, but comparing those to the CL/LF combination, they managed to sound distinctly muddy in comparison (even when I ignored the low B string). So, given another week, I'll have two guitars equipped with these things.

I really wish I'd considered this sooner. Probably could've saved myself a lot of time (ie. months) tweaking my amp and cutting various frequencies in my recordings. Now I just have to re-record all of my guitar parts with these new pickups... lol. This could take a while.

Tags
dimarzio ibanez ibz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode