Ibanez JEM Forum banner
2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  EL-CeeDee 
#1 ·
How the hell am I supposed to make a decision that way :).

I'm still hesitating between D-Sonic, Blaze and Evo... for a 7string bridge pickup.

I want a real tight bottom end... For bottoms I really like the meshuggah sound. But I also want a nice liquid sound for my high strings, singing, without making my ears blead and sounding harsh...

I mean, some people call the blaze muddy, while the next will say it has the tightest bass response around. Some say to go evo, but then say the bass are too much to stay clear, and that the solo sound is to harsh...

PLEEEAAAASSSEEE help me :)

#10 ·
you have a good point here.

"pickupology" and sound are very subjective and personal things...
I think if you would put 10 guitar players in a room and play them some pickups and stuff and after that ask them for opinion about it,you would be amazed with results.

Though I don't want to imagine myself in a same room with 10 fellow guitarists :)

Ibanezcollector has a good point there.
Some people seem to never have enough bass,other people call it muddy,
something that's round to you is shrill to somebody else etc etc.

The only thing you can actually do in quest for your own tone is to try as much as things as you can and see how does it fit in your rig and your personal playing style.
Same pickup can sound very different in different guitars and played through different setups.
We can all agree in some aspects and get some common and general "objective" overview on some things,but after all,it is that the small things and nuances often make difference to us. ;)

cheers and good luck,

J.

#7 ·
I'm using Blaze pickups in my RG7620. I really like the Blaze (neck), has a similar tone to the EVO (6-string neck model).

The Blaze (bridge) is cool, but not my #1 choice for a 7-string bridge pickup. It's close to the Steve's Special tonewise. Notes are nice and clear even with a lot of Gain, split coil tone is good, but I find it lacks in the Hi Gain lead tone department.

I have a Tone Zone 7 in one of my (Basswood body) guitars. I like the TZ-7 for both rhythm and leads. In the low end it's got a Duncan JB type of vibe going, but with a little more power. On the G, B, and high E strings, it's got that sustain-y feel that's great for leads.

Another often recommended 7-string bridge pickup is the Blaze Custom. So, you might want to add that to your list as you hunt for a bridge pickup.

#8 ·
Re: So Much contradiction in these DiMarzio threads!! (Quote)

I agree. However, not only do people have different ears for tone, a lot comes from the gear you play. Some pickups sound like crap thru some amps. A lot of pups hate solid state amps. I have Evo's in an RG and in a Jem, they sound quite a bit different.

#9 ·
It's hard deciding on pickups without hearing them yourself through a rig that you know. Finding the right pickup really is just trial and error. I find listening to others, reading reviews and checking out specs only gives a good general idea.

I personally like the Blaze Custom, Tone Zone 7 and Duncan JB-7 myself.

#11 ·
Well I have tried a lot actually.
In my RG I have a Tone Zone, which is nice, but I'd like more definitions in the bass, and a bit more of a liquid feal in the leads.
Have the FRED also, but still, that's a specific sound, just something different.

For the neck I have a Paf Pro, which I think is cool because it does have a slight vintage feel, and an Air Norton, which obviously just sings. So for neck, I think I'll take a norton again (unless I check out the blaze neck).

So I'm just asking for opinions here.

Also , the blaze custom: better than blaze bridge for leads, but how about chunkachunka rhythms?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.