So What's Up With People Knocking Stew Mac - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 679
Reviews: 1
So What's Up With People Knocking Stew Mac

Everyone knocks the Stewart McDonald Bill Lawrence pickups. I commonly hear that ony Bill and Becky make the "Real" Bill Lawrence pups and they are so much better.

First: both Bill and Stew were part of the company that made "Bill Lawrence Pickups", then after the company folded both split and continued to make the L500 series pickups. Therefore both are still "Real Bill Lawrence Pickups".

Second: The two well known players using the L500 series, Dime and Nuno, both use the Stew Mac pickups. Both Washburn and Dean use the Stew Mac's and Dime said in an interview he got his from Stew. Maybe they did use both companies at some point but seems like most of the time they used Stew's Bill Lawrence pickups.

I've owned and played a couple Bill and Becky L500XL's and thought they were great. I just don't see why people knock the Stew Mac pups, Especially when the people they brag about "Nuno, Dime" use the Stew Mac's.
Thrash is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 07:41 PM
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Michigan for now
Posts: 230
Re: So What's Up With People Knocking Stew Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash View Post
I just don't see why people knock the Stew Mac pups, Especially when the people they brag about "Nuno, Dime" use the Stew Mac's.
I thought it was because the other one was made with cork in it
linthat22 is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Moderator
 
elcid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: chicago
Posts: 9,592
Re: So What's Up With People Knocking Stew Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash View Post
Everyone knocks the Stewart McDonald Bill Lawrence pickups. I commonly hear that ony Bill and Becky make the "Real" Bill Lawrence pups and they are so much better.

First: both Bill and Stew were part of the company that made "Bill Lawrence Pickups", then after the company folded both split and continued to make the L500 series pickups. Therefore both are still "Real Bill Lawrence Pickups".

Second: The two well known players using the L500 series, Dime and Nuno, both use the Stew Mac pickups. Both Washburn and Dean use the Stew Mac's and Dime said in an interview he got his from Stew. Maybe they did use both companies at some point but seems like most of the time they used Stew's Bill Lawrence pickups.

I've owned and played a couple Bill and Becky L500XL's and thought they were great. I just don't see why people knock the Stew Mac pups, Especially when the people they brag about "Nuno, Dime" use the Stew Mac's.
Im guessing it's because Stew Mac pulled some shady sht in the deal, and really stuck it to Bill and Becky. This was a topic awhile back on another board, I'll have to see if I can find it.
elcid is offline  
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 679
Reviews: 1
Re: So What's Up With People Knocking Stew Mac

[QUOTE= This was a topic awhile back on another board, I'll have to see if I can find it.[/QUOTE]


Cool, I don't have a dog in the fight, I'm just curious?
Thrash is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:16 PM
 
jaxadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 3,300
Re: So What's Up With People Knocking Stew Mac

I think the whole thing stems from the fact that Bill and Becky were the more "legitimate" makers of this pickup, whereas Jzchak Wajcman or whatever the hell his name is was just a "business" partner at the time.

So in essence, if you're buying from Bill and Becky, you're buying from the guy who made the pickups, whereas if you're buying from Stew Mac, you're buying from a guy who was only a business partner who had nothing to do with making the pickups.

I don't know which ones I've played, but of the ones I've played, they are a really nice pickup, and I really like the L-500L's.
jaxadam is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Moderator
 
jim777's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 9,689
Re: So What's Up With People Knocking Stew Mac

Stew-Mac is a fine company with lots of hard to find parts, and those pickups are some of the tinniest in existence. I don't knock Stew-Mac, but I'm happy to knock those pickups
jim777 is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:23 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 848
Re: So What's Up With People Knocking Stew Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
I think the whole thing stems from the fact that Bill and Becky were the more "legitimate" makers of this pickup, whereas Jzchak Wajcman or whatever the hell his name is was just a "business" partner at the time.

So in essence, if you're buying from Bill and Becky, you're buying from the guy who made the pickups, whereas if you're buying from Stew Mac, you're buying from a guy who was only a business partner who had nothing to do with making the pickups.

I don't know which ones I've played, but of the ones I've played, they are a really nice pickup, and I really like the L-500L's.
i was under the impression bl had the charachteristic scatterwound, where as stew mac, just tried to do this, but didnt actualy know the method bl used

and from my understanding, at the TIME bl was the sole maker, and stew was the distributor.....other than that stew makes them now, but dimes and nunos pups actually were made by bl, before stew mac started making them, but i dont think they use the same method, they are piggybacking off the bussiness deal
losgatosrg350dx is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:27 PM
Moderator
 
elcid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: chicago
Posts: 9,592
Re: So What's Up With People Knocking Stew Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
I think the whole thing stems from the fact that Bill and Becky were the more "legitimate" makers of this pickup, whereas Jzchak Wajcman or whatever the hell his name is was just a "business" partner at the time.

So in essence, if you're buying from Bill and Becky, you're buying from the guy who made the pickups, whereas if you're buying from Stew Mac, you're buying from a guy who was only a business partner who had nothing to do with making the pickups.

I don't know which ones I've played, but of the ones I've played, they are a really nice pickup, and I really like the L-500L's.

That was about the size of it. The Stew Mac BL pickups are just using the BL name, he has nothing to do with them.
elcid is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:27 PM
 
jaxadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 3,300
Re: So What's Up With People Knocking Stew Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
i was under the impression bl had the charachteristic scatterwound, where as stew mac, just tried to do this, but didnt actualy know the method bl used

and from my understanding, at the TIME bl was the sole maker, and stew was the distributor.....other than that stew makes them now, but dimes and nunos pups actually were made by bl, before stew mac started making them, but i dont think they use the same method, they are piggybacking off the bussiness deal
Pretty much.
jaxadam is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 09:44 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,049
Re: So What's Up With People Knocking Stew Mac

Oh well, I thought the originals were crap, the Bill Lawrence OBL Strat pickup was a stinker (yep, I did try them) and that Seymour Duncan's Dimebucker was/is vastly overrated (Put one in Isida D's RG570 a while ago - he hated it too)..... so I guess I should stay out of it.....

Bill Lawrence designed the Gibson L6S too - anyone remember them.......
David McCarroll is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 679
Reviews: 1
Re: So What's Up With People Knocking Stew Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by David McCarroll View Post
Oh well, I thought the originals were crap, the Bill Lawrence OBL Strat pickup was a stinker (yep, I did try them) and that Seymour Duncan's Dimebucker was/is vastly overrated (Put one in Isida D's RG570 a while ago - he hated it too)..... so I guess I should stay out of it.....

Bill Lawrence designed the Gibson L6S too - anyone remember them.......
What are you talking about, Bill and Becky make great pickups. They are clear, bright, have good harmonics and the L500 series are very accomidating to many styles of music.

Last edited by Thrash; 03-20-2008 at 09:42 AM.
Thrash is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Moderator
 
jim777's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 9,689
Re: So What's Up With People Knocking Stew Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash View Post
What are you talking about, Bill and Becky make great pickups. They are clear, bright, have good harmonics and the L500 series are very accomidating to many styles of music.
Lots of people still hate them To me, this argument is always like 'who makes the best dog food flavored ice cream?' Some people just don't care If you do, cool, more power to you, but the Lawrence pickups aren't for everyone. But then I use Bartolinis, so what do I know?
jim777 is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 679
Reviews: 1
Re: So What's Up With People Knocking Stew Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Lots of people still hate them To me, this argument is always like 'who makes the best dog food flavored ice cream?' Some people just don't care If you do, cool, more power to you, but the Lawrence pickups aren't for everyone. But then I use Bartolinis, so what do I know?
You may be right, honestly I feel the only company that needs to exist is Dimarzio.
Thrash is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:19 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: dallas
Posts: 754
Re: So What's Up With People Knocking Stew Mac

it's a confusing story, but i think elcid and jaxadam pretty much summed it up. to make it even more confusing, nuno and dime originally were using the bill & becky l500s, and then washburn actually got confused and started ordering from billlawrence usa (which is the stewmac brand). so there are n4s & n2s out there with both pickups due to washburn's error. lol. the dimebucker has nothing to do with bill & becky and i've heard nothing positive about this pickup.

but i do have a bill & becky L500 in a few of my guitars and i love it. great pickups, very clear and a little bright.
rastachild is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:22 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 848
Re: So What's Up With People Knocking Stew Mac

dimebukers can melt in hell, and for no good tone at all
losgatosrg350dx is offline  
Reply

Tags
david mccarroll , seymour duncan

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pet Peeves katrina Off-topic / Miscellaneous 97 09-09-2006 01:34 PM
Jemsite's changed... IbanezPrestigeBoy Off-topic / Miscellaneous 96 07-12-2006 06:10 AM
People are strange... jay ratkowski Off-topic / Miscellaneous 22 11-04-2005 02:32 PM
jem headstock plate - what do people think jerrye Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 11 12-13-2001 04:26 PM
Known history of Guitar.. (lots of people have it wrong) - a vwall All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 10 05-09-2001 01:20 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome