Some pickup questions - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Some pickup questions

Ok, first off, I've got a S470DXQM(TL). I'm interested in swapping the pickups out for Dimarzio, namely a Breed neck and a Tone Zone at the Bridge.

First question, it's about the middle single coil pickup. I'm thinking about putting in an Area '58, but the Chopper seems like a plausible choice too. What's the main difference between the dual blade pups and the standard strat pups? Fatter tone? I mean, I'm pretty sure I'm going with the '58 as long as no one bring up some kind of huge problem with it working with the other pickups, but everyone seems to like the Chopper so I just thought I'd beg the question 'Why'.

Second, Ibanez's wiring diagram doesn't show the green wire Dimarzio's does, the green wire's mainly for people who happen to want to install the pup upside-down and make sure they get the coil that's closest to the middle pup on in the coil-split position, correct? So as long as I install both pups correctly I shouldn't need worry about messing with that wire other than to solder it to the volume pot? (I haven't bought the pickups so I don't have first-hand experience with how their set-up)

Thirdly ...I have to admit this is going to be my first adventure in soldering electronics, any tips? I'm the OCD kind of person who needs to be aware of Everything before he starts and if not he second guesses himself during the process. Any tools recommended other than the obvious soldering iron and solder? I'd really like to be able to do this myself instead of paying someone an over-priced amount, so I'd like to do it myself, but I just fear my inexperience will end up ruining the guitar.

Thanks for any- and everyone who comments, much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 03:36 AM

Reviews: 12
Re: Some pickup questions

Quote:
What's the main difference between the dual blade pups and the standard strat pups? Fatter tone?
Dual-blade pups act like a "humbucker" except it has the attitutde of a single-coil. Tone-wise? that's subjective... Benefits? depending on the model, a "louder" and/or "Fatter" than a single coil tone with no noise. I have an FS-1 for my 760's neck and its good for what it is, and much better than the C2 in the neck position.

Quote:
Ibanez's wiring diagram doesn't show the green wire Dimarzio's does, the green wire's mainly for people who happen to want to install the pup upside-down and make sure they get the coil that's closest to the middle pup on in the coil-split position, correct? So as long as I install both pups correctly I shouldn't need worry about messing with that wire other than to solder it to the volume pot?
first question: further elaborate - stock Ibanez pickups or Ibanez's stocked with DiMarzio's??? As long they're "properly" soldered, pickup-orientation becomes personal preference.
2nd question: as long the DiMarzio green and bare are soldered together to the volume pot, red connected as hot(+) and black as cold (-), it's wired in series.

Quote:
I have to admit this is going to be my first adventure in soldering electronics, any tips?
15w-30w soldering iron, 60/40 rosin core solder, and maybe a solder sucker as well. Preheat iron for 5-10 minutes. While that's happening, pre-cut the new p/u wire sleeves before the fun begins. Apply/melt a little bit of solder on the bare wires. This is optional but you can apply a tiny bit of solder on the iron's tip. It usually takes a couple seconds for the solder to melt. Once that's done, follow wiring diagram, desolder old p/u's, and solder new p/u's away at switch's contact points. Also, make sure you don't use too much solder (it just looks sloppy) and watch your fingers and/or arm from touching a hot soldering iron
If you need practice, find an unused computer cable or a pos instrument cable.

Reg

Last edited by reguv760; 12-22-2007 at 04:13 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Re: Some pickup questions

Quote:
Dual-blade pups act like a "humbucker" except it has the attitutde of a single-coil. Tone-wise? that's subjective... Benefits? depending on the model, a "louder" and/or "Fatter" than a single coil tone with no noise. I have an FS-1 for my 760's neck and its good for what it is, and much better than the C2 in the neck position.
Thanks, I knew it was designed to be a humbucker in single coil size I just didn't know if there was anywhere else in the design the deviated from the standard single coil design. Still going with the '58 on this one.

Quote:
first question: further elaborate - stock Ibanez pickups or Ibanez's stocked with DiMarzio's??? As long they're "properly" soldered, pickup-orientation becomes personal preference.
2nd question: as long the DiMarzio green and bare are soldered together to the volume pot, red connected as hot(+) and black as cold (-), it's wired in series.
1st: It's got stock INFs in it, and I'm looking to switch them out for a Breed Neck, Area 58 and Tone Zone in the bridge.
2nd: Ok, gotcha on that. I just saw DiMarzio said if they weren't working properly to switch the green to hot and red soldered to the bare that it was fixed, so I assumed it was for pickup-orientation.

Quote:
15w-30w soldering iron, 60/40 rosin core solder, and maybe a solder sucker as well. Preheat iron for 5-10 minutes. While that's happening, pre-cut the new p/u wire sleeves before the fun begins. Apply/melt a little bit of solder on the bare wires. This is optional but you can apply a tiny bit of solder on the iron's tip. It usually takes a couple seconds for the solder to melt. Once that's done, follow wiring diagram, desolder old p/u's, and solder new p/u's away at switch's contact points. Also, make sure you don't use too much solder (it just looks sloppy) and watch your fingers and/or arm from touching a hot soldering iron
If you need practice, find an unused computer cable or a pos instrument cable.
I've been warned a number of times about touching the iron

Thanks again Reg, you've been a tremendous help!

Tags
coil pickup , ibanez pickups , neck position , tone zone , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode