Some questions about the Cruiser - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Some questions about the Cruiser

I have an RG550 (an '87) that I love, and recently decided to start working on refurbishing it with new electronics. I'm currently waiting on an Air Norton neck, Cruiser mid (neck version), and Evo bridge to arrive. I'm working on coming up with some fun wiring options, but I wanted to ask the smarties here what the heck do you do with a humbucker in the middle position like the Cruiser? Do these things actually sound at all good when coil split? Is it ok to use them non-split combined with one coil from the neck or bridge, or would that be a noisy mess?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 05:39 PM

I would use an additional switch to split all the coils so that you would have 10 combinations, 5 with single coils and 5 with humbuckers, you don't really want to mix them due to the difference in output.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Re: Some questions about the Cruiser

Interesting. So you're saying combining a coil of the cruiser with a coil from one of the other two pickups would be strange, since the cruiser is so much lower output?
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:30 AM

I hadn't fully appreciated just how mismatched that cruiser is to the pair of hot humbuckers you've specced, you'll have trouble with positions 2 & 4 no matter how you wire it.

You should probably not split the cruiser to start with and simply wire it as standard to see how it sounds. You really needed a hotter middle pickup to work better with the other two.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'll give that a shot to see how it sounds. I was mainly a little worried about hum in positions 2 and 4. Thanks for your response!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junderwood View Post
Yeah, I'll give that a shot to see how it sounds. I was mainly a little worried about hum in positions 2 and 4. Thanks for your response!
You'll still get hum as soon as you split the humbuckers because once they're split they errr, don't buck hum any more.

Tags
cruiser , rg550 , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode