Ibanez JEM Forum banner

specific basswood - 7-string PU choice...

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Dee 
#1 ·
Hey!
I know that there are lots of threads dealing with the 7-string-PU question.
But this is quite different.

I have two Ibanez basswood bodied RG7s. Both sound totally different when played unplugged.
I discussed the basswood-qualtity-thing a lot and I am sure both are great qualtity basswood bodies, with totally different timbre.
My Universe has a loud, middy tone (very light basswood) and my RG 7621 has a well defined sound with lots of attack and brilliance (heavy basswood).

The UV now has installed Blaze neck and D-Sonic 7 and the RG 7621 still has the stock PU's installed.

I'd love to have one guitar with D-Sonic7 and Air Norton7 and the other with Blaze bridge + neck.

The Blazes have a scooped midrange, so I am asking my self what combination will be best in what guitar.
As mentioned, the UV alread is louder and has a warm tone. Should I therefore use the Blazes, to reduce the mids or should I use the D-Sonic7 and the AN7 to emphasize these mids?

I know - best way would be to install the PUs and then exchange them and see which result would be the best - BUT my RG 7621 will be equipped with green DiMarzios, so I cannot simply change the PUs...

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Scooped mid pickups? Put them in a guitar with naturally resonant mids. It's like putting together a good hifi system; I would never pair a bright amp with bright speakers, I pick out components that balance well together, otherwise it ends up with too much of one frequency and I would have to start adding other components (equalizers) to balance things out, which, in the end, only weakens your signal because the shorter the signal path, the purer the signal.

This, of course, is all down to what you want out of your guitar. You may want to have excessive amounts of mids, I don't know! I go for a balanced sound every time and let the amp do the work.

PS: I have an RG750 with a very light body, so it has lots of mids. I find that a pickup with lots of top-end bite works the best. The pickup I have in there is a Bill Lawrence L-500. Sounds great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.