specific basswood - 7-string PU choice... - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

specific basswood - 7-string PU choice...

Hey!
I know that there are lots of threads dealing with the 7-string-PU question.
But this is quite different.

I have two Ibanez basswood bodied RG7s. Both sound totally different when played unplugged.
I discussed the basswood-qualtity-thing a lot and I am sure both are great qualtity basswood bodies, with totally different timbre.
My Universe has a loud, middy tone (very light basswood) and my RG 7621 has a well defined sound with lots of attack and brilliance (heavy basswood).

The UV now has installed Blaze neck and D-Sonic 7 and the RG 7621 still has the stock PU's installed.

I'd love to have one guitar with D-Sonic7 and Air Norton7 and the other with Blaze bridge + neck.

The Blazes have a scooped midrange, so I am asking my self what combination will be best in what guitar.
As mentioned, the UV alread is louder and has a warm tone. Should I therefore use the Blazes, to reduce the mids or should I use the D-Sonic7 and the AN7 to emphasize these mids?

I know - best way would be to install the PUs and then exchange them and see which result would be the best - BUT my RG 7621 will be equipped with green DiMarzios, so I cannot simply change the PUs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Dee

Re: specific basswood - 7-string PU choice...

Scooped mid pickups? Put them in a guitar with naturally resonant mids. It's like putting together a good hifi system; I would never pair a bright amp with bright speakers, I pick out components that balance well together, otherwise it ends up with too much of one frequency and I would have to start adding other components (equalizers) to balance things out, which, in the end, only weakens your signal because the shorter the signal path, the purer the signal.

This, of course, is all down to what you want out of your guitar. You may want to have excessive amounts of mids, I don't know! I go for a balanced sound every time and let the amp do the work.

PS: I have an RG750 with a very light body, so it has lots of mids. I find that a pickup with lots of top-end bite works the best. The pickup I have in there is a Bill Lawrence L-500. Sounds great!

Last edited by Dee; 02-17-2008 at 10:44 AM.

Tags
air norton , basswood bodies , blaze bridge , blaze neck , green dimarzio , ibanez bass

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode