Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Steve vai ibz/dimarzio pickup mod

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Lydianluver 
#1 ·
Hi I have an rg that is very close to my heart and I don't wish to replace the pickups. Do you have any mods I could do to make my pickups sound more like evos?

#2 ·
Chicken will not taste like beef when it is spiced. Pickup change will not hurt your honey... Unless you use a chisel with kinetic accelerator. ;) Remember EVOs ar not for pussies...i mean they are wery tight and unforgivable.. hmm.. like my wife... but i love them. :)

J.

#5 ·
Yeah, hard to make suggestions without knowing what you are starting with. As mentioned, Evos are very unforgiving, not to mention he uses a lot of different pickups these days.

To get Steve's sound, it takes a lot more than just pickups, pickups are probably one of the smaller factors in his sound.

#6 ·
Yeah, hard to make suggestions without knowing what you are starting with. As mentioned, Evos are very unforgiving, not to mention he uses a lot of different pickups these days.

To get Steve's sound, it takes a lot more than just pickups, pickups are probably one of the smaller factors in his sound.
I would say the fingers come 1st and the funny faces just after...

#7 ·
The Evos are a great mod towards Steve's sound, especially the neck pickup with lots of gain and the bridge pickup loves the bad Horsie Wah pedal and reacts great to fast tapping sections.

If you find the bridge pickup is too cutting for you just lower it into the body away from the the strings and it helps calm them down a bit.

You have to have at least one Ibanez with the full fat Evolutions in your life, why not put them in your favourite RG?

I have a set in my 1989 Floral Jem, you get the irreplaceable feel of your old classic guitar with a modern high output sound.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.