Steve's Special (& similar) not fully humbucking? - Jemsite
Pickups & wiring Discussion about pickup types, replacements, recomendations, switching, wiring diagrams and sustainer systems for ANY guitar, JEMs included.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2004, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Steve's Special (& similar) not fully humbucking?

So it occurs to me that something with asymmetrical coils like a Steve's Special (around 7k in one coil, around 12k in the other) would not cancel hum as well as a bucker with equal coils.

I never noticed this, but I wonder if that's how it is...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 08:53 PM

Yeah I contemplate that all the time. Best I can tell it's not a direct correlation. For example, a pickup with one coil at 5K and the other coil at 10K wouldn't have "half the hum-cancelling" effect as one with two 5k coils. (i.e. twice the hum) In other words, the fact that two RW/RP coils exist is a bigger part of cancelling hum than the actual resistance match. To what effect I'll never know, (and I don't care) But I'm sure it's a variable and not constant. In other words, the majority of noise is cancelled once you get to within a certain range, and it's less apparent after that.

As for me, my gear is pretty good, and I have a lot of guitars with single coils too. So a slightly noisier humbucker is like getting a free box of chocolates, and then you notice one's missing. I'm just glad it's cancelling hum. I've had a couple guitars with variable coil bleeds so I could dial in how much of "coil 2" I wanted. Now, they were audio taper pots so it's impossible to say at which point this occurred, but the phenomenon was that I could get to a certain point where it still sounded very much like single coil mode, but with a fair amount of hum cancelling too. Sort of a "best of both worlds" scenario. I guess I could've measured the output of each coil at that point, but that was before you posted, and now the coil bleed pots are no more! Plus that wouldn't directly answer this scenario because I was removing output, not coil windings.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2004, 09:54 PM

You're on the right track. The hum doesn't depend on the number of turns in the coils and it doesn't come from the magnets. The hum is from an outside electrical field that creates an electrical field in the coils. Since the humbucker has two opposite windings, any stray electrical field that gets picked up also gets picked up in the oppositely wound coil. As both of these noise signals are across all the wire at the same time, they dampen or cancel each other. It's a similar concept to the twisted pair (carrying differential voltages).
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2004, 03:17 AM

sorry..but would this have anything to do with grounding? or 60 cyl hum?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 07:30 PM

Re: Steve's Special (& similar) not fully humbucking?

Actually what the original poster said was true, at least that's what someone at DiMarzio told me when I called them about appalling RF noise with the Tone Zone pickup. I couldn't believe how much more noise it picked up compared to my other humbuckers. I called them and the person said that yes, pickups with assymetrical coils will pick up more RF noise than regular ones.

Tags
coil mode , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode